What are some healthy, cheap, and quick toddler meals?

Sometimes I get home from work just in time to feed him and get him ready for bed. Really no time to cook much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Gerber makes microwavable meals. They are in the infant section at the store.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I always kept several fresh and prepared things in the fridge that I could warm up or serve quickly as needed:

cut up steamed carrots
    steamed green beans
    diced cooked chicken
    diced or sliced cooked ham
    whole wheat pasta
    plain low fat yogurt
    mozerella cheese cubes
    frozen wild blueberries
    grapes
    apples
    pears
    bananas
    peaches
    avocado
    hummus

Anonymous

• My daughter eats: veggie burgers, broccoli pancakes (weird, I know, they are microwaveable), mac and cheese (not sure if it's healthy, but she eats it), lots of different types of cheese, pizzas.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They may not be as cheap as you are looking for but I like to give my son the Gerber graduate meals when I don't have a whole lot of time. 45 sec in the microwave and done. They only cost about $2 a piece. And my son loves them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My two year old eats a lot of cherrieos on days like this. LOL I will give her a bowl of cereal (not enough to fill her up) and cut up some apples and give her penut butter to dip the apples. LOL its my favorite quick and easy meal!

Another thought is precooking.. I do a TON of prep on the weekends so I don't have to worry about it during the week. I plan all my meals, cut up all my fruits and veggies for the week, portion out the meat I'm going to cook so the night before I can get it out to unthaw, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• if you have time ont he weekends you can make some meals for the week. pancakes, eggs, waffles, mac and cheese made with the tri color or whole wheat pasta, my son loves the wheels and cheese frozen dinners. chicken nuggets that can be cooked in micro, I by the no sugar added canned fruit and veggies.look at those gerber meals and use them to create your own. I think those are very expensive anad my toddler really didnt like them either.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Cook meals for those days and stick them in the frezzer. The Gerber foods have too much sodium and I refuse to get them. If one day you make say enough meals for 5 days stick them in the frezzer then pop them in the microwave you have a healthy meal right there in what less than 5 mins.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Since I pack my lunch, I just make enough for DD to eat as well; that way I know she's getting lunch and not some nilla wafers and pringles sometime around noon. Pre-cooking is the easiest and cheapest way to go. We also keep all-beef hot dogs around just in case; they cook pretty fast and she actually likes them- she isn't so fond of the regular hot dogs lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Mash potaoes made with fat free milk and lite butter. home made chicken and noodles I can give you the recipe if you like, they also like tyson chicken strips, small pasta shells with lite butter or with sauce if they can handle it. macaroni with tomoato sauce and cheese, steamed veggies, scrambelled eggs, oatmeal, if you have a bullet blender you can do alot, in the summer cream cheese wrapped in turkey they like finger foods. NOT HOT DOGS!!!!! they are the # 1 killer of children under 4 cause children eat and drink at the same time so they expand and are hard to swollow. turkey burgers cut up small. Hope this helps
    itwonthurt

Answer by itwonthurt at 12:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• breakfast for dinner: scrambled eggs, fruit and toast. or BF Burritos: Jimmy Dean Skillet cheese and tortillas.

Left overs! :0)

Never never under estimate the power and uses of a crock pot!

Spaghetti: I love the Ragu(sp?) chunky Garden veggie. It had a full serving of veggies in a serving. Carrots, zucchini...

Pre-made casseroles: put it together one day and heat it the next.

Sandwiches or cheese and veggies or even Hummus: who says every meal has to be a hot one?

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010