What and when do you feed your almost 11 month old?

Pedi said not to give him any more baby food at his 9 mth appt and said he should eat what we eat, so we've been doing that, but it gets difficult at times when we eat lasagna, etc that I have to blend for him so it's chunky enough but not mushy.
He eats rice w/ veggies, fruits, pieces of toast, tofu, etc...but any other ideas? What does your almost-toddler eat?

mypreciousbabe

Asked by mypreciousbabe at 12:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive recently started giving him almost everything i eat. same as you with toast, french fries, bean, potatoes, pieces of chicken nuggets. i just give him whatever in bite size form. i dont give him anything too hard like carrots. he loves macaroni and any kind of noodle.
    Anonymous

• Mine ate whatever we ate. At 9.5 months, he could hold and eat a kids burger. If something was difficult, I would smush it up or cut it up or even process it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son eats what i eat. Has since 7 months. i dont blend anythinf up for him. Just cut it into chunks and he eats it. They can have anything but honey and peanuts at that age :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• OK, what foods do you eat?

I eat lots of rice, pasta, burritos, tacos, etc...I can't feed him burritos/tacos, so what's he supposed to eat then?
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• He can have the taco. Put meat, tomato, lettuce, cheese in a bowl, break the shell into tiny pieces in it and give him a spoon.
    He can have the middle of the burrito and the tortilla ripped up tiny on the side.

Any veggie, meat, fruit, dairy or grain.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When we were having tacos, I would just put cheese and tomatoes in it then roll it up in a soft shell and rip it into small pieces - I thought the taco meat was too spicy for him. But our son pretty much ate what we ate, just cut up. I never processed any of it. He did, and still does, eat 3 meals and 2 snacks at 11 months.

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You don't have to blend food up. With the lasagna you just cut it into pieces about the size of a pea and put it onto his tray. Same thing with tacos and burritos. My LO just turned 12 months but by 10 months she was chowing down on her favorite food, chicken enchiladas.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with maggiemom.

I have never pureed or blended table food. we went direct to pieces of table food, no baby food. I cut or lightly mushed with a fork. Your 11 month old should be beyond ready for self feeding. My baby has self fed from 7 1/2 months when we started and in 1 month had developed a pincer grip. Your baby should be able to, or will quickly learn.

We've tried everything as long as it is healthy and not a hazard like nuts. my baby has no teeth and does fine. peas, kiwi, pear, 3 bean chili, avocado, guacamole, asparagus, sweet potato, squash, etcetc. no grains yet other than bread on occasion. too hard to digest.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son would have whatever we would eat just broken into small peices. The nights that we would eat something he shouldnt have like fish or spicy food, Id always have another option on hand. He would have leftovers, or Id make a grilled cheese and some veggies for him.

At 11 months my son was eating 3 meals a day with us plus a morning and afternoon snack. He'd eat whatever it was we were eating.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 11 months and she will eat anything we give her and if it's too difficult for her to eat we cut it smaller or smush it. i try to give her food in a solid form so she gathers the concept of texture while eating too. if i had to eat blended noodles & chicken over chicken and noodles i'd probably not like it based on texture alone. there are a few things she can't have but for the most part when we cook a meal we make sure to cook it so she can eat it too.
    2sdayDayli

Answer by 2sdayDayli at 3:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010