How can I get my 17month old to not be a picky eater

I can get him to eat veggies or to venture out on what he eats. Im still giving him baby food veggies since he wont eat the regular veggies. But he Hates them. I tried the ones that were more chunky, he spit them out. I also cant get him to eat eggs,spaghetti, rice ,I could go on forever...... He only eats Chicken, hot dogs, cereal, fruit, lunchables, mac n chz and maybe a few bites of potato... Maybe!! He jsut spits everything out thats new!!!

JHLMartin112

Asked by JHLMartin112 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should have started it when he was 6 mo. and starting baby food i'm a single mom of 2 and been in the medical field of pediatrics for 20 yrs. the only thing I can tell you is at this age you the your child have already set a pattern. so now you need to change it. by doing that don't give into what he wants until he tries something new and tell him you need to try this is you want this. he will scream and cry but if you are gonna change him then you need to hear him cry. if you stay consistant he will get the idea. good luck I hope everything works out for you.
    itwonthurt

Answer by itwonthurt at 12:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You really should've developed a good eating example when he was an infant. What do you eat around him? We model what we want our babies to adapt. If he sees you eating something and enjoying it, he's more likely than if he sees you eating junk food and trying to give him healthy stuff.

What you can do is mix in some healthy or new things with his usual foods that he likes, and trick him that way while gradually increasing the new foods. Or, you can give him a new food, cold turkey (no pun intended), and refuse to give into what he wants. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat anything!

If he doesn't eat, you'll know he's not hungry enough, so let him out of his high chair. When he's hungry, offer him the same new food, and you'll be surprised that he eats it even though he'll cry and fuss about it.
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 12:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• @itwon'thurt: My son refused to eat certain veggies at 6 months. I would give him a bite of spinach, he would turn his head and hold his mouth shut. So, I would hold his cheeks and push the bite in, he would spit it out and make a face. I offered and offered. Finally, I found that he just was not gonna eat it. I had to compensate with other veggies. So, the 6 months thing doesn't always mean they will eat it. Mine was picky WAY early. he would eat green peas just fine though. LOL

Try the foods fixed different ways and just keep offering.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Don't offer him what he normally eats...I promise your son won't starve himself....at the beginning of each meal offer him only what you want him to eat (fruits and veggies) ...if he doesn't want that...then he won't get anything else. Also I would cut the baby food out completely, he's way too old. The longer you wait the harder it will get. g'luck mama!! At this age they are all about testing mama to the fullest...they are much smarter than we think!!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010