When to get baby's first hair cut?

My son will be 1 in a few weeks, and I really cannot decide when we should get rid of the mullet growing on the back of his head, lol. The hair on the top of his head is long, but it doesn't go down into his face at all, it parts perfectly and stays to the side. My family has even asked if I've trimmed the top because the back is so long! When I give him a bath the hair is at least and inch below his neckline. Is it time to chop? Or should I give it a little more time?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had DS's hair cut right after his first birthday. His hair is really curly and was in desperate need of snipping.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• yeah I know a lot of mom's who keep the curls for a little while, my son has his daddy's straight, thick hair (luckily, not his mommy's frizzy, thin hair! lol...)
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• With my first boy I felt I needed to wait until he turned 1 for his first haircut. I really don't know why. He REALLY needed it by his birthday. He did look older once he got it. He looked like a little boy. No more baby!! Isn't it crazy, but I can't remember when we cut my younger son's hair? He is only 4. My oldest is 15 and I remember every little thing. If he needs a haircut do it! Just take a lot of pictures.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My kids are almost 3 and 4yrs... Neither have ever had their hair cut...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I waited until after my son turned one. It's kind of a family custom to wait. Once you start cutting, that baby hair starts going. :( LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It's a personal desicion. I had my son's hair cut when he was about 10 months old because I thought it was getting too long (I'm not a fan of long hair on boys). I waited with my girls until they turned one.
    Anonymous

• When the hair gets long enough that it needs cut.
    Anonymous

• I had my sons "mullet" part trimmed when he was 11 months old. It drove me nutso :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010