How big is/was your 15 month old? Pediatrician says my son is too small.

My 15 month old weighs 21 pounds. His pediatrician says he is too small, At 12 months he weighed 20 pounds. He eats very good, he is just very active. He always has been, he crawled at 6 months and walked at 8 months. Started climbing at 10 months. He just never slows down. I feel really bad about what she said, I felt like she was accusing me of not feeding him properly but I do. He eats 3 meals a day with me and also eats lots of snacks on the side. I try to feed him healthy foods, like fruits and veggies for snacks and healthy meals. I know you aren't supposed to compare kids, but I want to know just how small he is compared to others his own age.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 30lbs and 30 inches........
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• @ 18 months, mine was 23lbs. LOL He is 14 years now and 5'2" and 86lbs. So, maybe your son is small like mine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son was 23 pounds. I wouldn't worry about it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is 22 lbs at 19 months - at 15 months he was 20. No reason to worry!

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well my son is a year old (june 3rd) and he is 32 inches and 25 lbs but he is a big guy.... I'm 5'6'' and his dad is 6'3'' so he is super tall, it sounds to me like your son is fine, maybe get a new pedi?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• If it makes you feel better my 2 and half year old is 24 pounds. :0) Some kids are just small. I would be willing to bet that you Dh or both are not really tall people yourselves. If he is meeting his developmental milestones and eating and pooping well then increase calories where you can (healthy choices of course) but please don't let them panic you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• He sounds fine to me. I'm looking back at what I wrote down for my other two. My first son was just under 20 lbs at a year old and unfortunately I don't have anything written down for 15 months, but I have 25 lbs written down for 18 months and I remember that being a huge gain. At 12 months he was at his skinniest, he was 10th percentile in weight and 75th percentile in height, but the doctor didn't say anything about it being a concern at all. By 2 years old he was around 50th percentile in everything and has stayed there.
    My daughter has always grown really slowly. She was 18 lbs 9 oz at 15 months, up from 16 lbs 4 oz at 12 months. We were watching her weight and the doctor was concerned about her but she ate so well and wasn't gaining much no matter how much I fed her, so thankfully the doctor decided she was fine, just small.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My DD is probably exactly that. I would guess she is 21 lbs, maybe only 20 lbs. She was only 6.6 at birth and has always been in the 25th percentile.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son only weighed 20 pounds at 15 months, and 19 pounds at 12 months. He was still on the chart - thin, but still on the chart. Your son may be small, but he is growing. Some kids actually lose weight after they turn one. I'm surprised your pediatrician would say he is too small. Of course, if he was in the 90th percentile for weight for the first 9 months of his life, it would be concerning for him to suddenly be on the lower end of the scale.
    Anonymous

• Forgot to mention that she is 15 mos. almost 16 mos.
    deelite12

Answer by deelite12 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2010