My mom wants money to babysit my son.

She lives 3 minutes away and she takes care of my 4-year-old son 15-20 hours a week. She wants me to give her 5 dollars/hour. Plus, she takes care of him at OUR house so they both eat there. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mom would NEVER see my kids as a "job". I agree, taking care of children is not easy but grandparents who really love their grandkids are happy to do it and they look forword to it every time.
    If my mom ot my MIL ever asked for money to watch my kids I would prefer to hire a babysitter.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I have no problem with a family member asking for payment for regular child care, it is not easy work and just because they are related doesn't mean they should do for free what you would pay someone else for.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My mom would never take money for watching her own grand kids. May as well put him in daycare then.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I understand her wanting money but 5 an hour. I would say 30 a week 50 at the most.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I can't imagine not being will to pay someone to take good care of my child. Not only that, it sounds like she's willing to be at your home all day so that your child is where they're comfortable. So...that's ALOT of time that she could be caring for her own home, and running errands and such. And, if it's a family member that loves and cares for the child well, It would be worth even more to me. I don't think she's unreasonable. Her kindness makes it possible for you to go out and earn money, I don't think she's out of line.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Does she need the money?
    Anonymous

• Wow...she came out and asked? My mom would never want to get paid for spending time with her grandson. She looks forward to spending time with him.

That sucks for you, but I agree with jenae, you may as well get him into daycare.
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 12:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It depends. My mother would never ask for money to babysit her grandchild but then again if taking care of your son is preventing her from being able to make money another way then sure you should help out. Maybe she doesn't want to take care of your son at your house and that is what makes her feel more or less like it is a job. Have you asked her if she would rather take care of your son at her house? That might help matters. Also the truth of the matter is that $5 is dirt cheap and no one else is likely going to take care of him for less. Would you rather pay her and know he is safe or pay a stranger and take your chances because those are likely the two options. Maybe try negotiating the price. Money is a sensitive subject maybe she isn't doing well money wise and you just dont realize it.
    Anonymous

• Pay her or find someone else. You are asking your mom to give up 15 to 20 hours of her time each week - this is not like a one time deal. No one should be expected to watch your child that much for free.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE

No, she doesn't NEED the money. But she's one of those people who always want more.
    Anonymous