• In the Spotlight:

"Condoms for 6th Graders." What does this say about The United States?

June 11, 2010
"Dr. Beth Singer, school superintendent, argued that since there is no age limit on the distribution policy, she wanted to ensure that younger students requesting condoms receive information on their use."

The quote above is what some on the committee have a problem with. Putting aside for a moment– if possible– the entire fact that it is absolutely ludicrous that the school committee voted to pass out condoms to anyone regardless of age, what is even more ludicrous is the fact that the concern raised about this policy was because students are required to see the nurse to get the condoms.
http://americaswatchtower.com/2010/06/11/massachusetts-town-will-allow-elementary-school-to-pass-out-condoms/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well seeing as I know someone who got pregnant at age 11, I don't have a problem with handing out condoms to kids. Obviouslly they should not be having sex, but some of them are anyways and better to have protected sex than a baby at that age.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• What does what say about the USA? I don't see anything wrong with condoms being available to 6th graders. They can walk into a store and buy them at that age so what does it matter?
    Anonymous

• It says that parents aren't doing their job, and someone has to make sure these kids are protected!!!

Have you forgotten what 11, 12, & 13 year old kids are like? This should have been done LONG AGO!

Anyone who would be against informing, and protecting these kids should have their heads (and hearts) examined!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well, I was having sex in 6th grade. My parents surely didn't know, and to stop them from knowing I never used condoms. I figured they would leave evidence... We were actually doing in in the locker room at school and in the back seat of the school bus... So I don't see it as anything more than a good school doing what they can to protect their students...
    Anonymous

• I'd rather have them available if requested than not available. Kids are going to have sex if they want to have sex. Hopefully, not in 6th grade but at least they are being smart while being dum:)
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• oh... wait... watchtower... this is a JW publication, not actual news. No wonder they are ruffled. How do you think YOU got here? Immaculate conception?
    People feel the urge to have sex when their bodies begin to mature sexually, this can happen at what seems like a very young age to some- so, why is it that you would NOT want a child to be protected while they experiment. (and your theory that teaching them NOT to have sex will work, has already been disproved)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Since not all of our children think/act the same way...I guess this is better than trying to educate parents.
    Anonymous

• I heard this last week on the radio. I was furious when I heard it then, and I can't believe the attitude of the MOTHERS on here! In this school, the condoms can be passed out, and the parents HAVE NO RIGHTS, NO SAY-SO ABOUT ANYTHING!! The parents can't even ask that their children NOT be part of this program! While I am concerned where there is a 12 or 11 yo having sex, I am more concerned with the fact that our parental authority is slowly being undermined, and taken away altogether! I would bet that a lot of the parents are trying as hard as they can to instill morals and values on their children, and then the liberal school boards are undoing whatever the parents have done! What is wrong with telling these children a firm NO, that is inappropriate for you to do, and you cannot do that! Why do these school boards think that the parents are incapable of parenting their own children? This is so beyond disgusting!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• 29again.

Thank you, finally someone with common sense.
    Anonymous

• The parent who preaches that it is wrong, is the parent who becomes a grandparent before their child is out of HS.

The parent who teaches their child to be responsible is the one who becomes a grandparent when their own children are able to care for their self, and decide that it is time to have a family.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010