I'm really at a lose here, Iv'e always paid my bills on time, now

that I'm a stay at home mom the credit card bills that should of been paid down were not & now Im having such a hard time even living, these bills have me by the throat, anyone pay down cards when they thought it was impossible? Do I apply for bankruptsy ( I cant spell it) ? I feel really helpless Thanks for reading this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• inheritance. You might get a job etc.

If you can pay some of the credit card bills, pay as many of the small ones as you can. If you need to, change your number to keep the credit card companies from calling you all the time. If in a year from now you still can't pay your bills and they start to sue, then yeah, you might be bankrupt. But today you are not.

Check out DaveRamsey.com, borrow his book Total Money Makeover from the library and come join the Dave Ramsey Fan group on CafeMom. The women in the group are all paying off debt- and most of us have paid off more than we ever thought we could. Plus, IMHO, we've got some ladies with great advice, and great motivational stories.

Hope you'll join us :)
    Anonymous

• why don't you go back to work
    Anonymous

• Did you not go over the budget and finances before you stopped working? Id suggest going to a financial counselor and see what they can work out.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• There are a lot of good bankruptcy lawyers who will give you a free, first visit, consultation. Ask around for a good recommendation if you really feel you need to. Don't let them talk you into anything on that first visit, though, and get a full disclosure of their fees.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Hi my husband and I help people with debt. He has a company clear credit and if you want leave me a message and I'll give you his number. I know what it feels like to be in a situation like that. And what my husband does is educated you on the best opion for you and your family.

talk to you soon,

"Keep your Head up"
    P.johnson

Answer by P.johnson at 1:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yeah, that the whole point of credit, exactly what you described. The interest rate is a killer, if you only knew the hiistroy of money then you would know the true meaning of being a slave to money.

Unfortunately its to late for everyone, except those that dont used government issued notes.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Call up Consumer Credit Counseling. They will help you get your bills to a more reasonable amount. You don't say if you are married but you are likely going to have to get a job especially if you end up filing bankruptcy since it's not as easy as it used to be.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Have you ever thought about working from home to pay off that debt? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my almost 3 year old son, and 15 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Bankruptcy may or may not help you depending on how much debt you have. But DON'T go talk to a bankruptcy lawyer unless you are actually bankrupt- because what is the bankruptcy lawyer going to say? Yeah, file for bankruptcy because that's his/her job.

Anyway cut up the credit cards you can't keep using them if you can't pay them. Get on a written budget ordering your priorities from top to bottom. Food first, lights, utilities, shelter, fuel for the car things like that. Credit cards, entertainment, eating out are at the bottom. When your husband gets paid, you pay what you can and then after that you just let them go.

To be fair credit card companies can sue you if you don't pay, but generally speaking it takes them about a year to get around to it. In a years worth of time you can settle with them on the debt (50 cents on the dollar) your husbands job might give him a raise, you're great uncle might leave you an...
    Anonymous