How did you and your partner choose to name your baby?

Do you look together and make it a team effort? Do you go for how the name sounds or looks? is the meaning of the name important to you? Do you like family names?

I told my DH that if we have a girl i want to pick the first name (but he has to approve it) and he can pick the middle name (with my approval) and it's the opposite for a boy. He can pick the first name and i'll pick the middle.
name meanings are important to me and it also has to sound good. AND i pay attention to the initials. :)

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• My name is JoLee which means pretty, Kallista- means most beautiful. Chloe is the goddess of agriculture (but i just liked her name)
    and Kaleb was a name i like but the meaning stinks (faithful dog) lol
    And Daisy ,...well, i think it is soooo pretty,
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I just picked out a name that I liked with no meaning and that nobody else had in our family and told DH. He said ok whatever and viola...they had names.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I looked through the baby name book we had and online as well. I wrote down a list of names and that's how we chose their names.
    Anonymous

• I had a name picked out for a girl since I was 15 so when I married my hubby I told him it and thankfully he loved it. So when we had our baby girl that's the name we stuck with. I wasn't budging anyway. :)
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We both looked through name books, he made a list of names he liked, I made a list of names I liked, then we switched and crossed off names that the other hated. We just kept boiling it down until we had a short list for girls and a short list for boys....out of those we had favorites. That was for first names, we used family names for middle names....meaning didn't matter much to me, unless it was some horrible meaning then it turned me off to the name, but its more important to me how the name sounds, if it will carry our children into adulthood, if we could see the name on a corner office, after the title Dr. etc. =) That was more important to us than finding a name that means a specific word. Although, the names we liked had very cool meanings too =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• with our dd he has always loved the name stacy and had a really close friend with the name. and i had always liked elizabeth. and elizabeth stacy didnt sound right so we went with stacy elizabeth.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• my first husband had made the choice with 2 of our 3 kids..he told me point blank if I want his help with the kids he is picking the name.
    With my last kid my new husband and I went through lists and debated then his daughter came up with a name and that was that, she named her brother because we couldn't decide
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• He mentioned he liked the short name Bree for a girl, and I was always liking names ending in a.. So after searching we ended up naming her Breaunna, (brianna as usually spelled).... Middle name is Carlene, for my Great-Great Grandma.. He wasnt 100% at first with it but he came around & understood the name was important to me..
    If we had a boy his name would have been Brennon/Brennen (never decided on spelling). We never came up with a middle name! So glad it wasnt a boy! LOL ..

Next time around I have no clue what the girls name will be but we may still use the same boy now though i will feel guilt for giving him "what his sisters name would have been if she were a boy".. lol...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I brought lists and lists of baby names to him and he turned them all down. Bahaha. Ok, not really. But it was definitely me who did all the research and he who gave his second approval of names I picked out. That's how we were able to narrow it down.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh, and middle names are family names. Our first is named after my dad and grandpa, so our second gets a middle name in honor of his dad. Really, it's whatever family name I think goes best with the first name we pick out. lol.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2010