WWYD

WWYD
We have two big dogs, one of which is older and mine, and does not require nearly the amount of exercise that the younger one does (the older one is 5, the younger one 18 months). Anyhow, when my husband wanted to bring home a second dog, the conditions were that he would pick up the dog poo (he does this, just not as frewquently as I wouuld care for), and walk the dogs every day. I was emphatic that these things happen and made him promise. I was was very upfront about the fact that I have enough to do on any given day, especially since he goe sto bed by 8:30, and I did NOT want the extra responsibility at this point in my life with two small kids. We have a yard with no fence which is also where him promising came in. The dogs are super sweet, but he lied. what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pets

• tell him to fence the yard so you can just let them out when they need to go. and have him rake the yard on a regular basis, like once a week.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Does your DH know what he is doing this weekend? You and I do, putting a fence up in the yard.
    Anonymous

• That animal is now depwnding on you and is a pert of your family, so the only choice is to get a fence!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• WE can't fence, we don't own the property. That's why getting the second dog was contigent on his walking them.
    Anonymous

• I would like take the dog to a friend or familys house and tell him that you got rid of it because he wasn't going what he was supposed to. When he throws a big stink about it, tell him that the dog is visiting a friend and you'll get the dob, but he (DH) starts growing up and doing what he said he was going to do in the first place, or the dog really will be gone. If it doesn't happen after that, get rid of the dog.
    Anonymous

• Guess I hate to get rid of it because of him not doing something. I get to make my kids sad because he didn't follow through...
    Anonymous

• You should just tell him to help out more.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Kick his a$$ and tell him to get out there and fence the yard.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You can rent a fence. That is what a lot of military people do in military housing. Bottom line is that animals is suffering. Who cares if your husband lied or not. That poor dog needs exercise and play time. Your older dog needs it too. They cannot walk them selves, so it is up to you to do it if your husband is not. Can you maybe make it a family thing? Walk the dogs together as a family. It would be good for you and your two little ones to get out and get some fresh air too. As far as the dog poop goes, that should be picked up every day, at least every other day. The longer is sits in your yard, the high chance of diseases spreading, including parasites that can be picked up by humans, and can get under the skin of bare feet.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• This is exactly why I won't get a dog. My husband wants one, but he's not the one who would be caring for it, I would, and I don't want a dog! I would tell him to either put up a fence or start helping and if he doesn't do either than you are finding new homes for the dogs.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010