Does our (the USA) political system need an overhaul?

Each election I feel more and more that I'm not voting for the best person for the job, but rather the lesser of 2 evils. Neither party seems to give a crap about us little guys. Both seem more interested in keeping their power then making life better for those people who pay their salaries. This recent financial debacle makes this more clear then ever to me. Both the Senate and the House no longer seem to care what happens to us but rather look like a play yard of 2 year olds squabbling. What happened to our pride in our nation? Remember when the League of Women Voters ran the debates? They were real debates not the beauty contests we have now. I also am dismayed by recent Supreme Court Rulings that no longer protect our rights. The entire system seems to me to be out of whack. It's been happening for a long time and it seems that each election is worse then the last. What do you think and why?

DisabledVet

Asked by DisabledVet at 2:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, now your choice is going to be whomever has the most money for campaign - coming in from corporations.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• yeah i think it's a total crock. let's do away with the whole party system and force people to just speak about the issues, period. then the groups that support those positions can provide funding based on beliefs, the candidates will be forced to be intelligent and thoughtful, etc. i have to admit i'm not totally versed on all the stuff going on recently in the news but i about popped my lid when the ruling to ban deep drilling was lifted - i thought 6 months wasn't long enough - they still haven't stopped the leak and have no idea what to do if this happens again. NO president can be effective because of the party politics (although i do think it important to have checks and balances). nothing gets accomplished because of all the stupid bickering. special interests control WAAAAY too much... i've got way too much to say for this small space.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• There are some aspects such as voting laws and lobbying laws that need to be changed but all we really need is for Americans to care about whats going on, do their research and vote in the right candidates.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Ok, but revamped to what? I think we need to take a couple of steps backwards, towards the Constitution, instead of just "vamping" in any direction because we think we need to fix something. We did that with PBO's "hope and change" and no more doing things the Washington way. What brought us to this point was the Constitution. It will carry us forth if we have the ovaries (or cajones) to rely on it for guidance.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree, OP. While I still have hope that there are good and honest politicians out there, lots seem to be high on money and power.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree about the constitution. As a veteran I love this country and have always voted. Last election though when the pollsters called I started telling them I thought these polls should be outlawed.I also wrote each candidate that spend so much money that I couldn't in good conscience vote for them because if they wasted so much money to get elected they would waste our tax dollars too. I would also like to see campaign reform. Every time it's brought up it's shot down. Gone is the time that an honest person can get elected. Do you realize that if the money spent on campaigns was spent on health care EVERY American could have good heath care. The problem is that the Supreme Court doesn't seem to base its decisions on the Constitution. If they had the ruling about condemning your home so that a shopping mall can be put up would have never passed. I joined GOOOH last year and the discussions there are great.
    DisabledVet

Answer by DisabledVet at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I don't think that change is a good word here at CM...they have been whining about "hope and change" since January 2009. They hate it. And they keep saying that the Constitution needs to be kept just the way it is, particularly the 2nd Amendment,you know. So...overhauling the government means change and they don't like change here. :-)
    Anonymous

• Our government is fine. The people we have elected to do the government's business are not fine, not all of them. The overhaul that is wanted takes us from a republic with a democratic process to a socialist system. If that is change, then I don't like it. You are exactly correct. Good for you!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Our government is fine. The people we have elected to do the government's business are not fine

I totally disagree. It's not the people it's the system in place. The system is what controls who is placed on the ballot. It's the system that allow corporations and lobbyists to control the funding be funneled  to each candidate. it's the system that perpetrates back door dealings and pandering to special interest groups. If a candidate ignored the system, the candidate would not be elected. Period.

Anonymous

• :44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 by: jesse123456
    Our government is fine. The people we have elected to do the government's business are not fine, not all of them. The overhaul that is wanted takes us from a republic with a democratic process to a socialist system. If that is change, then I don't like it. You are exactly correct. Good for you
    **********************
    Well that is just BS.
    I want a REAL Republican like Gen Eisenhower was in the 1950's as President. There are no Republicans alive now who could even come close to being that good. They are all a bunch of hypocritical and narrow minded creeps....
    And we are NOT heading for Socialism. That is such an old lame argument.
    Anonymous