Do you think a 13 year old is too young for tampons?

My 13 year old asked me today if she could start wearing tampons. Do you think that is too young? I told her I would think about it and let her know. I think it is, but I wanted others opinions, too. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• maybe let her try the smaller ones first. i used them at that age but even the regular ones were not comfy til i got older.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Nope, thats when my dd started. It was the whole situation with the pool at school. It was her decision though, and the coucel she got from her friends..lol,,,came to mom, after the fact :)
    Anonymous

• Of course not. I hate pads. How would she swim or change for gym in pads? I used tampons right away. They are so much better.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• not at all- how is she supposed to lead a normal life is she is only "allowed" to use pads? Her body, her choice.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Thanks..I guess since I didn't start wearing them until I was 16 or so, I thought she wouldn't. I'll get her some. Thanks again.
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Just wondering why you would think she was too young. If you have a period, it is just a way of absorbing the flow. My 14 year old daughter asked me for some (she started her period about 4 months ago) because she is on the swim team. I gave her a few and then later asked if she was able to figure out how to use them. She said yes - but hated it (I think she did not get it in right or far enough). She then just went in the pool without one she told me and said that she did not flow at all while swimming.

I just figure it's her body and if she wants to use them, that is her right and they do no harm.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• it's summer time and she can't swim with a pad on...not to mention pads are just gross and feel like you're wearing a messy diaper all day...yuck. give her the tampons
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I guess I thought since I didn't start wearing them until I was 16 or so that she wouldn't..I don't know really...I will get her some though and see how she likes them. Thanks for answering!
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No it isn't. My daughter was 12 when she started wearing them, but she had had her cycle in a regular basis for at least 6 mos. before we let her wear them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Just explain to her how they work. I remember when my sister first used them she told me how much they hurt. It turned out she inserted the whole thing, applicator and all!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2010