3rd shift can't get any sleep

To all you perfect moms out there who have yourself well organized: I work 3rd shift, seven days on seven days off, My kids aren't letting me sleep.
they argue or scream while I"m asleep.
I'm at my wit's end.
They are age 9 and 8...is it unreasonable for them to be quiet during the afternoon? I fix them breakfast and make sure they have reading time, and time with me before I lay down?
Should I go ahead and get a babysitter? That is sooo counterproductive financially, but I might have too. Advice needed...but, please no judgement. I already feel bad enough.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• What about setting up that time for them to hang out at a friend's house? Obviously arrange it with a parent. And then on your week off, have that kid(s) over to your house. Or pay the other family $XX for food or whatever. Or hire a sitter, maybe a highschooler or someone you don't have to pay a ton to. Your kids are old enough they should be fairly self sufficient and not need someone breathing down their necks the whole time. I have a 9 year old cousin and he has two modes: sleep and loud. Good Luck!
    mom2ben

Answer by mom2ben at 10:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would posting a schedule for the kids....after you fix breakfast, sit the kids down and show them the schedule,I would write down chores that they can do....can they handle the laundry, unloadin the dishwasher,vacuum, dust, clean the bathroom, yes they will want some playtime...good old boardgames, reading...they key here is quiet busy work....you can always recruit a mommas helper (teenager) that maybe can walk them to a park or such....get strict about the repercussions of waking you up on workdays.
    these are just suggestions and you know what your children will tolerate doing but they should be able to let you sleep long enough for daddy to come home and then their his problem....good luck
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010