How can I get my five week old son to nap?

My sons was napping up until a week ago. Now he refuses to nap. He is not really overly cranky. He is a bit cranky when he reaches the overtired point. He will sleep in his bassinet at night for 2 to 3 hour periods of time. During the day, however, as soon as I lay him down his eyes fly wide open. Any suggestions?

literacycoach

Asked by literacycoach at 3:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First try swaddling him. Sometimes newborns feel like they are falling when you lay them down on thier back. Or put him down to sleep in a bouncy seat on the floor in a slightly upright position. But I think if you swaddle him in a blaket that should work. It makes them feel secure! A thin light one for the summer if it's warm in the house. Good luck!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I wore my baby in a sling (properly) and she napped while i went about my business, or i put her in her infant to toddler chair in whatever room i was in.

when you baby is asleep be sure he is in DEEP sleep before you lay him down: limp limbs, heavy head, slack face. lay him wherever you are.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• If you know he is truly tired (should have a regular routine of awake and asleep periods during the day) then have a consistent routine of how you put him to sleep. He may protest, but you know he should be napping more. If you swaddle, get him ready that way, close blinds in his room, cuddle, sing song, hush, (whatever you want his cues to be) and then put him down. Close door and leave the room. He may cry. Wait and see how it goes. Some moms can let their baby cry for 15 minutes or so. Others might go in and do the hushing, singing, etc that is part of the routine after a few minutes. The time he cries should get shorter and shorter. He needs to, and will, find a way to soothe himself. Your cues should be the same every time so he learns them. Some moms will disagree with this. That's OK. There are different opinions on letting babies cry. This is what worked for me and several friends . Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Swaddling is one of the main things that helps my LO sleep, both for naps and during the night. And I suggest getting a swaddler, like the Halo ones, rather then a loose blanket. It's much easier to get that nice tight swaddle, and safer too.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 5:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• A 5 week old should not be put in a room and left to cry or fuss for 15 minutes (not even 5 minutes!) A baby that age needs to be comforted to sleep. Try holding him longer before trying to lay him down. Try wearing him in a sling or wrap while he sleeps, or putting him into a swing.
    "He needs to, and will, find a way to soothe himself." Not at 5 weeks old!! What on earth can he do for himself to sooth himself? That is what parents are for.
    This is a VERY young baby, they need to be held a lot at this age.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• swaddle. my lo was the same exact way at 5.5 weeks. we started to swaddle her and she started sleeping 3 hours longer!! and went down in half the time. gl
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010