do your kids have a limit to the amount of computer, Wii, and PS2

I just wondered if anyone else puts a time on these things and what is appropriate for 8 and 9 year old

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes on a school night they get 30 minutes to an hour. During the summer and on weekends, they can have about 2 hours each. They play World of Warcraft with a friend who recently moved away, and my oldest DS (13) plays the xbox 360 with his friends. They get a little more time when they have friends over as they are allowed to stay up playing pretty late. They are 11 and 13 though, not 8 and 9. DD is 6 and she gets about an hour a day on the computer if she wants to play it, she plays all her little games from PBS kids and Disney.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I have a 13 yr old and she is an A student so i dont give her too much grief over internet/tv/game time. I do set the timer on the computer if she is in trouble or has too much attitude. But general not unless we are in trouble the computer and phone are my 2 punishments :D
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes...they don't get to use them. They aren't allowed to touch the computer and can only play the Wii if they have been behaving and have their chores done (maybe once a week they play for the day or a few hours). If they start fighting over it I turn it off (last time I unplugged it and took it away).
    They don't play it every day and never have. Same with the DS (which is hidden in one of my drawers right now). And I've started to turn the TV off, too. It's summer, they should be outside. My 10yo would sit in front of the TV/Wii for 12 hours a day if I let her. She's mad right now because they started fighting over the TV so I shut it off (it had been raining/storming so there was nothing else to do but now it's sunny and hot). She finally found a book to read instead.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes and what is appropriate it totally dependent ON YOU! The amount of time I allow my children tends to be a more then some of their peers, but at the the same time less then some of their other peers. Your house, Your kids, Your rules.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010