is it wrong to expect a phone call or thank you note, or even facebook thank you??

I love to crochet. In the last year, I have made over 12 people scarves and mailed it to them...most of them were surprises. I'd say that maybe five people have acknowledged that they even got the package. My own cousin didnt even let me know when she got her prink scarf, she didn't even call or anything..so weird.
So anyway, am I just old fashioned to expect a thank you of some sort? Just to say that they got the package? or am I being selfish??I wonder what the "new rule" is now for thank yous.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Ok, so you did something kind, only to expect a thank you? that's tacky.....there should be no expectations attached to gifts, especially if they weren't asked for.
    Anonymous

• I think you should receive thanks or at least acknowledgments that the gifts were received. Why don't you call and ask those from whom you have not heard? The unfortunate truth is that we are living in a generation where common courtesies are almost extinct and parents are not teaching their children to be grateful for what they are given. Too many people think that they deserve what they receive and there is no thought given to the sacrifices of those who give to them. So, just call them up and ask them if they got the gift that you spent x number of hours making for them? And, please don't send them anything else!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• wow anon,mega harsh! Hon,I don't think its too much for someone to just say thank you in one way or another. How hard is it to acknowledge someone's kindness?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• yes, I agree that I shouldn'texpect a thank you, but its still always didsappointing when I don't get it.
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Maybe they didn't want it. My mother in law is always sending things that I don't want or need. She'll send me magazines, stickers, cheap toys that the kids don't want, cards. I never say thank you because I am so annoyed by the crap. I just throw most of it away. I know she gets offended but I don't want to call and say thank you for something I don't even want.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• A quick note would be nice...but I do agree...people nowadays don't know about being gracious for crap. I don't think you are expecting too much. And if someone sends gifts that aren't wanted or welcome...be grown enough to say "hey, I appreciate the thought, but please don't go out of your way with ____." My kids grandparents used to send stuff all the time until I broke down and told them that the items that they were sending weren't being appreciated by my kids or even used. You just have to word it right so no one gets their feelings hurt.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 4:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• it's not harsh it's the truth. I have a friend that when she does something kind for you she gets really offended when you don't say thank you...and like mompam said, it's hard to say thank you for stuff you don't even want.
    If I recieved a scarf I would have a hard time saying thank you....especially since I don't even use them...lol
    Anonymous

• I agree with NannyB. this generation thinks everything is owed to them and they have absolutely no respect and no manners.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• if you wanted to do something nice for your friends/family then you should do that for yourself, not to get praise. but that being said, they should have said thank you even if they didn't really like it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It's rude to not even acknowledge that you received a package. That bothers me to no end when you don't know if recipients recieved your package or not. That's probably why I utilize the delivery confirmation option at USPS. If you still want to work your craft and give to someone that appreciates it (even though you might not get personal credit for it), you could crochet baby caps for newborns in the hospital. I still have the one they gave my DD and it's adorable. So much more personal than the one that looks like a tube sock that they put on my DS.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010