Do you ever wonder??

Ive watched several episodes of "I didnt know I was pregnant" and It always seems like the baby is just fine and never has any issue..even though the mother had no prenatal care and in many cases drank and smoke...How is it that none of these babies ever have any problems?? Not that im saying I hope they do because honestly thank goodness they dont!! But it makes me wonder about all the "precautions" we take and all that during pregnancy..do we really need to ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Probubly not. But i am not willing to take that chance. I would never forgive myself if something happened to my child and i could have prevented it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well, I was one that didn't know until I was 18-19 weeks along. So, I didn't really get prenatal care until 20 weeks. LOL And yes, I believe that alot of stuff they do is purely unnecessary. I don't believe in half the tests and intervention and ways of doing things now. Which is why I plan on using a midwife and home birth for my next birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• im sure those ladies are just lucky and they wont show the ones that end bad on tv! my cousin smoked pot and drank with her son. he was born 6 weeks early had a lot of breathing problems and he is nothing like my daughter and they are 2 weeks apart! my daughter could hold her head up from birth (she was almost 9 pounds) she can roll over at 4 months and she eats all the time! Her son is just now rolling on his side and its very hard to feed him and he sleeps all the time. he is so small too! you can see a big difference in babies who are well taken care of during pregnancy and ones that are not! that's just what i think im sure people out there will disagree!
    Anonymous

• They don't show the ones whose babies came out with Fetal Alcohol Symdrome or the ones with horribly low birth weight because the mother couldn't put down the cigarettes. These are real conditions. Why anyone would want to chance not getting medical care, would decide it's okay to smoke and drink just because of a t.v. show, well I have to hope they aren't seriously planning on having children. And really I have to question carrying a baby for nine months and not knowing. Sorry, don't believe it. As for the testing that is done, I'm sure the mothers who have healthy children because of those "uncessary tests" are grateful for them. This whole question seems like justification for doing whatever you want, no matter how unhealthy, while pregnant.
    Anonymous

• No one said that that show give them a right to go out and drink and smoke...Geeze. Just that maybe we are WAY too over involved in the whole birthing/pregnancy and might step back a little and not do SO many tests.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I love that show!!! And was suprised they would put a show on that showed so many successful homebirths! But I HATE how they word everything with a "scare tactic" type approach..
    I was late knowing I was pregnant. So No Prenatal care till like 5/6mo.... I think its all overboard with all the prenatal care most woman get.. Multiple Ultrasounds, constant tests... Pregnancy & Birth is nature running its course.. Man just like to feel like we can control everything..
    The history of Birth is scary. Especially when you get to when we moved into the hospitals! Drs know surgery & want a controlled enviroment & have a time limit for everything. Midwifes know how to help give birth, and let the mother/child control everything else... I really hope I can find a midwife next time around & atleaste be in a birthing center and not a hospital...

Im glad for Drs cause some do need them.. But not all of pregnancies do.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• @MommaTasha1003: I agree about the "scare tactics"....The narrator always says, "And gave birth without the help of pain meds"...like no one has ever done that before. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2010