Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep kids entertained in the car for a 16 hour car trip? They are 15 months and 3 years old. They each have their own DVD player in the car... any other suggestions?

Going to NE in July for family vacation before my husband deploys. Looking for activities, hotel suggestions and anything anyone wants to give out :)

TinkerBell396

Asked by TinkerBell396 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Travel

• Car games. Their own music. Puzzles, coloring books. Stay at hotels that have a pool or playground or are atleast near a park. You're going to Nebraska? From where and what route?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• DVD player.....check!

Try to leave early so they can sleep a little.
    Snacks, playful ones.
    Play "I spy colors" with your three year old.
    I like to give my kids Tic Tacs. Those may buy you 30 minutes.
    Sing songs.
    Put on a puppet show for your kids. That sound crazy?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We drove from ohio to flordia when my sons were 13 mos 4yrs, and my brother was 2 1/2. The obvious things that you haveprobably already thought of coloring movies music etc. We also packed a cooler and stopped at rest stops on the way to picinic. There wer lots of rest stops that had play grounds. For the ones that didn't we played games with them and tried to burn up some of there energy. We also had a treasure chest. When they were starting to get ancy we would let them pick a special treat out of the treasure box. (candy, cheap toys, key chains) They thought that was great. Also i would recommemd buying a David Raffi CD he's great entertainment for kids.
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh man i do not envy you - i hate driving with my 13 & 3 yr old on a 3 hr trip LOL. I have a play list on my Ipod just for my toddler with fun songs she can do actions to. we like washable markers and they come right off the car seat.

I live in Omaha NE - the zoo here is awesome, we have lots of festivals and out door concerts with local bands here, my little on loves to dance I suggest www.momsofomaha.com and look at their calendar to see what is going on the days you are here. We love the Laurentizen gardens to walk thru. Down town as some fun stuff too. The river front has a sidewalk fountain if you dont mind the kids getting all wet! and then you can walk the bridge over the river to Iowa.

Let me know if you are in another part of NEbraska I have lived through out the state and can give you other places to go :) GOOD LUCK
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• What makes our trips bearable was to plan little stops to get the energy out. With the internet, this is much easier. Every few hours, we stop. We estimate what city we will be in, look on their website for parks and make it part of our route. We talk it up...we're going to stop in Los Banos and go to the park and swing. WHen we get back in the car, we'll say....our next stop is Pleasanton...we'll be there in 2 hours and 20 minutes.....that park has a really tall slide. Sure, the trips last a little longer, but having something to look forward to helps.
    SanDiegoMaxMom

Answer by SanDiegoMaxMom at 12:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• One thing I did was to put together little brown bags of new toys, candy, snacks, or something. Every hour (or however long you decide) I would let them pick one of their bags. They were so excited and couldn't wait to see what the surprises were.
    Between that and DVDs, I would let them bring books. My little ones loved the Richard Scarry books. Lots to look at. They would be occupied for hours. We always stop for potty breaks and let them run around. If we stop for gas, I let them pick out a candy bar or something. Now that they are older, I'll make them use their own money for that if they want it. But it was always a delight for them. I would definitely break days into 8 hour increments. No driving through for 12 or 16 hours. Everyone just gets too sick of being in the car. Maybe with little kids who could sleep a lot it would be better. I just know that my little ones are at the end of their rope after 8 to 9 hours.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The TAG reading system by Leap Frog keeps my son entertained through the entire plane trip most of the time! Its great because it basically reads the book for them and helps them learn to read. They have TAG Junior for the younger child but if the baby doesnt tear pages out then she'll be fine with the reg TAG my son was at two. Also the Leapster is good for the three year old.
    The coloring books by Crayola that use "invisible markers" or whatever you'll see them when you're on the crayon aisle at Walmart or Target they are great for car rides because they can color away and you don't have to worry about finding marker stains all over the car and the kids! I also have a $14.99 MP3 player from Toys R Us for my son filled with kids game songs that I downloaded like I-Spy etc, We travel a lot so these things are the biggest help!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010