Breastfeeding moms, i have a question about occasionally drinking wine/beer/mixed drinks

does straight liquor go to the breast milk? or does all alcohol do the same just like beer and wine? i like mixed drinks more but i havent had any yet... it has more liquor then beer and wine..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Any kind of alcohol is fine. One ounce of liquor, one beer or 6 oz of wine have the same amount, and all of it is fine as long as you don't overindulge. After one you're still safe to nurse. After two, wait an hour to nurse. After three, wait two hours, etc.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Anything you eat or drinik goes into breastmilk. Breastmilk doesn't get filtered by your body.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• the rule of thumb is okay to drive, okay to nurse. Doesn't matter what form your alcohol comes in.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• op here- i dont drive at all. i drink at home. so if i go to a restaurant with my 3 kids and husband and i want a long island ice tea, cosmopolitan or whatever (1 glass) its okay?
    Anonymous

• OP, depends on how it's made. If it's a long island iced tea there's more alcohol in it than one shot. Sometimes the cosmos or margaritas have more than one as well. I'd recommend making your own drinks at home so you know how much you're getting, and so you know how long you need to wait to nurse.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• op again- damn that sucks. i really dont make my own at home too expensive. its cheaper at a restaurant to just buy 1 for 6-8 bucks then buying diff liquor's... the only thing i buy is beer and wine. open and pour lol. i could just have them do 1 shot and then all juice at the places i go?
    Anonymous

• You could do that or you could just ask how it's made and how much alcohol they put in it too. I didn't think about that before, but you could always just ask the bar tender :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Why not just play it safe and hold off on drinking until your baby is weaned? No math involved!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Make this really easy...if you feel tipsy, don't nurse. I don't think that 1 drink will do it unless you slurp it down in 5 minutes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• op here. butterflyblue19- because i love alcohol im being honest. there are woman and men who love smoking and there are me. i love drinking mixed drinks and thats just how it is.. it tastes good. wine relaxes me at night. beer is good on weekends when we are bbq and sometimes we add beer in meat.
    Anonymous