Just a question out of curiousity???

This is my second pregnancy and I was contracting for a total of 14 hrs with my first. Then someone else told me that your labor starts after your water is broken so I guess I was technically in labor for 8 hrs. Anyway I was told with the second birth goes much faster than your first is that true? I have heard that some didn't even get any epidural cause they dialated so quickly with their second they couldn't get one. I'm just curious how accurate this is. Cause my mom said she was in labor for 23 hrs with all of us but with my first I was only 8 so does that mean with my second one that it will go faster.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• USUALLY a second labor is faster... but not always, so don't count on it :). And "labor" is NOT counted from when your water breaks, but from when you are in an established contraction pattern, usually around 4 cm dilation.

It's possible you will have a lightening quick labor this time, but not a guaranteed. Each pregnancy is different, so keep that in mind :)

Good luck and congrats!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• your labor starts when u start having contractions and start dilating. not when ur water breaks. but yes second babys come much faster than 1st babies. this is not so true for thrid babies however but yeah.
    my first baby i was in labor for about 19 hrs start to finish with 3 hrs of pushing.
    my second baby i was in labor for 8 hrs start to finish and pushed for 45 mins
    my third baby was induced but i was in labor for about 12.5 hrs and pushed for an hr and half.
    Anonymous

• Some go faster some don't. You are in labor from the time you start having contractions. You are in active labor after your water breaks. Active labor means that you are now working to move the baby down the birth canal. And Yes there is a point when you are dialated where they will not give you the epidural. I think it's at 7 but cannot remember. The reason is that it would be too late to kick in by the time you are pushing if you wait too long.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Labor starts when contractions and dilation starts. Each pregnancy and delivery is different so I wouldnt count on it going any particular way with any of them.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Sometimes the water doesn't break at all until the baby is actually out. Try telling those moms that they were never in labor ;-)
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• my first labor wat 6 hours my second labor was 14 hours so no second child isnt faster then first and i had pitocin with my second son.....both natural birhts with no pain meds...cuz i rock :)
    Anonymous

• My first and only was super fast. We live over an hour away from the hospital. My water broke at home and after my contractions started I went from 3cm-10 in a little over an hour. pushed 20 minutes and he was born. My dr told me that my next one could go a lot faster and be born in the car on the way so not to take my time lol.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 4:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They broke my water while baby was coming out so that wasn't true for me. That was my first and it went abnormally fast, as in I dilated from 2 to 8 in less than 30 minutes completely missing my window for an epidural. If this one goes any faster I'll be happy just to make it to the hospital. Anyway, they kept telling me I wasn't in labor because I wasn't dilating over 2, so according to their logic labor begins once you are dilating 4+ and having normal contractions; that isn't true for every woman and I wish my nurse didn't have to learn that the hard way cuz she was freaking out delivering my baby 100% on her own without so much as a delivery room or bed. I've always been told your second comes faster, but there are always exceptions to that as well.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010