how do i get my 4 yr old in control?

she doesn't listen, she's always getting into things she knows she shouldn't be,(like this morning she climbed up the dresser and it fell over on her sister and bruised her leg really bad) and I'm the parent that knows why God gave us "behinds" I spank her, i put her in time out, i take her favorite toys from her but still she doesn't listen, at the end of the day Im yelling at the top of my lungs to get her attention and make her stop whatever she's doing at that point, but then I feel like a failure, we should never yell at our children, my mom wasn't this way towards me.

ourownworld1519

Asked by ourownworld1519 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you may need a break mama...if possible. You sound stressed! A stressed mama is not the best mama....We all have bad days with our kids so don't beat yourself up about it too much! At least you know something needs to change. Obviously what you've been doing hasn't been working. Yelling does not get you anywhere (I am totally guilty of it) but what works best is getting down to their level and talking...raising your voice just makes it way worse. With spanking...I am against it for my own children...to me, that teaches them that hitting is okay. (even if you tell your child they aren't to do it...of course they will copy mommy)...Do you praise her good behavior?? Try emphasising all of her good behavior ...possibly a sticker chart with a prize at the end of the week...and if she doesn't listen then take stickers away. Sit her down and go over the family rules....(very nanny 911 like) but go over them and then write the
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• so, you spank her. why you keep doing it if that doesn,t work??????
    kids who are being spank shouln't be 'good kids"?
    Anonymous

• them down together and post it, somewhere that everyone can see it. ALWAYS be consistent!!! and when you threaten something such as "i'm going to take away your toys...or do it again and I will put you in time out" ...ALWAYS follow through. Do not say something redic such as "You will be in your bed for the entire day" ...then they know you are just pulling their legs. I hope I helped mama...and gluck! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Be consistent and make sure everyone else knows to be consistent too when disciplining her.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010