do you give your baby water? my pediatrician said if i am hot and thirsty and need a drink of water - to give my baby some too..... when i look online i found bad stuff about giving water to babies?? but wouldnt my pediatrician know???

theres not really a need to give it to him, other than to help him go 3 hours between feedings so he will drink a good 4 ounces like the dr recommends... he is 9 weeks old. (we are in FL and it is soooooo HOT!)

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I ALWAYS gave my kids water! ALWAYS! Water is not harmful, and as long as you aren't adding sugar or something they will only drink what they need. You get hot and dehydrated and so do they, why deny them what their body needs. For the first time (ever I think) I say go with the Peds on this one...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No water until at least 6 months. If your child requires more fluid,up the formula intake. Giving water to babies can throw off their electrolyte balance

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• water is ok, but not in large amounts..my dr said not to give plain tap water tho, she told me to boil it for 5 minutes first..put it in the fridge for a while...then its safe for babies. so i did that, made a big jug of it, and it was there when i needed it :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I always gave my son water as well. He used to get the hiccups real bad and I'd always give him a little water to help him. And just as sabrina said "You get hot and dehydrated and so do they". I also gave my son water when he started on baby foods. I would give him a couple oz with a jar of food.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 4:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You don't want to give them too much, at that age they should really only be getting breast milk for the most part, but when it's hot they're sweating a lot. If you're inside with AC then you shouldn't need to but if you're out and about I'd give him a little bit every so often, just a couple of tbsps at a time should be good.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I give my 11 month old sips of water for the experience of drinking from a cup but I cant see what nutrition he gets from it since his milk is giving him all his nutrients and fluids.

Im not a dr so you may just disregard this but sometimes a pediatrician doesn't always know whats best for your baby and this in my opinion is one of those cases.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It's all about common sense. When my middle son was born in Oct in Canada there was no need for him to have any water - especially since it was the coldest Oct we'd had in 100 years! Now when my youngest was born in June and we were having a heat wave, if we'd spent a lot of time outdoors and we were sweating a little bit of water made sense. But the key is - a little bit. A new baby doesn't need tons of water, an ounce is probably lots. Too much water is bad for anyone, even adults, so just use some common sense and only give him just a bit when necessary.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is 5 months and my ped just told me yesterday that if want to give him water, I can, but only about 1 oz. per day. He gets water in his formula so he's fine. And btw, it's been in the 100's here in Kansas... I get hot and I get thirsty, but I don't drink formula.
    hazelnutx

Answer by hazelnutx at 5:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't at 9 weeks. And definately not to hold him off till the next feeding. If he's hungry, feed him. All kids are different. Some may go 4 hours, others, 2, or 3. There is enough water in formula/breastmilk. I'd wait until I was offering solids to offer water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The reason they say no water is because too much can dilute and remove nutrition from the blood causing water intoxification. At 9 weeks if i felt i had to i wouldnt give more than like an ounce 3x a day. Google water intoxification. It should be able to explain it better than i can :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010