time to get help

I've finally come to realize that I'm depressed but I don't know how to tell my dr because it would be the 1st time I've met with him (because we just moved) and since I've never done this before I'm really nervous about it. When I call to set up the appointment and the ask me what its for do I just say depression or what? I need to see a therapist so I can figure out whats causing it and to fix it. I need to be me for my daughters and my husband but most importantly for me....what do I do? Please no bashing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Health

• i would just be honest with him. Tell him that you feel like you are depressed and would like to be recommended to a therapist to see about treatment.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Bravo for recognizing you need help. Yes, be honest and say you would like to discuss this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I second all answers.
    hazelnutx

Answer by hazelnutx at 9:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The therapist is a good idea. I have also found regular exercise and sunshine to be helpful for depression. Just don't let him give you a prescription before you try other things. Too many doctors just do that. Remember depression is very common (most of us have been there) and try not to be worried about telling dr.

hugs

Anonymous

• There are many web sites on depression that also can help you explain to the doc how you're feeling. Some actually have little quizzes that you can take into the doc's office with you. Just tell them that you think you have depression and you'd like to explore your options.
    http://www.webmd.com/learning-treat-depression/preparing-for-your-doctor-visit

drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2010