My Girls ages 14, 10 and 6 are always saying they are bored, even though we have wii, internet, DSi, books and games galore. Any ideas on things to do when kids are bored??

Oneoflifesgems

Asked by Oneoflifesgems at 5:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd say ditch the electronics and do something together...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Ask them what they want to do....
    Beach, Zoo, Camping, Whatever is fun around your area.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes! Tell them the next person to say the words "I am bored" will get to clean the entire bathroom with a toothbrush.

It only happened one time when I was a kid, before I was old enough to remember, but that story was regaled so often that my mom never heard those words muttered again. We always had something to do!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Take them to a park and bar b que, go to the zoo, out door stuff.
    lifeisgreatbut.

Answer by lifeisgreatbut. at 5:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Do they like to do crafts, scrap booking, knitting, crocheting. What about going to the library. Youth summer camps. Playing soccer/tennis/baseball, throwing the frisbee around. Puzzles. Paint by numbers. Cooking and baking.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No that cruel to tell a kid to do chores if they bored. They might not be the indoor type try something new and exciting to show their personalities.
    lifeisgreatbut.

Answer by lifeisgreatbut. at 5:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I don't think it's cruel to offer up alternatives that are less fun than what they are already doing. They are old enough to come up with some ideas on their own, and to me saying, "I'm bored" is considered whining. I think you can also head it off by keeping them busy. If you give them a couple of hours of chores each day (especially the older ones), they will appreciate their free time a lot more. Get them to help you rearrange the furniture, clean out the garage, or paint something. Get them to clean out their stuff and prepare for a garage sale. Start a new hobby with them - buy some drawing books, paper, and pencils and try your hands at that.
    Anonymous

• Girl, no kids should ever be bored. If we would have said we were bored, immediately we were given chores to do. You have three girls... why are they bored? Make them do laundry, dishes, cooking, washing down the walls and base boards, vacuuming, dusting, Oh my... the list is endless. Make them work!!!

Anonymous

• Take all the electonics away. The games too. They will be forced to find something to do.

Answer by louise2 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I kept a list on my fridge of household chores that needed to be done. When one of the boys said "I'm bored" --they got a chore. After one or two time, I didn't hear that phrase anymore.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010