How can i stop my 11 year old boy from having tantrums?

MY 11 year old boy is having terrible tantrums at home but out and about he is very good mannered.I have spoke to him several times but he ignores me please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• take something he likes away from him like a punishment then explain to him why but not in a mean way and then walk away. do it everytime he does it and he will stop eventrually and thats it. lesson learned.
    lifeisgreatbut.

Answer by lifeisgreatbut. at 6:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think tantrums come from getting their way to often in the past. If you say it, then mean it, tantrums do no good if you dont let them get to you.

If my 11 year old was having a tantrum, then he would be wishing he hadnt! His whole world would come crashing down on him. He'd think his life was over...lol.

2 year olds have tantrums, not 11 year olds. unless there is some sort of medical issue or mental disorder, then he needs a swift kick in the tush.
    Anonymous

• I dunno, my SO would probably beat his butt red. I tend to lean more towards taking away things they value until they prove they are capable of being good enough to have it back.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Stop giving in to him. Do not give him what he want when he has a fit.

Answer by louise2 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You need to let him know it is not acceptable. If he throws a tandrum you need to take control and either send him immediately to his room or completely ignore him. You need to give him a consequence for his actions. If he is doing it because he can't play his wii longer, than he needs to lose it for a week. Stick to your guns, you're the parent! You can do it!
    My daughter threw a tantrum in the movies once when she was about 4-5 and I carried her out, kicking and screaming. I took her home and she calmed down. Then she said, OK mom, Im ready to see the rest of the movie. I explained that it wasn't going to happen and she learned a really good lesson. She hasn't thrown a tantrum since...not once!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 6:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When he has a tantrum, life as he knows it stops. No privileges, no treats, absolutely nothing but the essentials until he can explain to you why having a tantrum was the wrong course of action.

Keep repeating until the tantrums disappear.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I totally agree with...

"If my 11 year old was having a tantrum, then he would be wishing he hadnt! His whole world would come crashing down on him. He'd think his life was over...lol.

2 year olds have tantrums, not 11 year olds. unless there is some sort of medical issue or mental disorder, then he needs a swift kick in the tush. "
    Anonymous

• Stop giving in. The only reason he's still throwing tantrums is because he's either mentally delayed OR they've WORKED!!!

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Don't give him what he wants AND take shit that he has away!!! There is no WAY my kid would have anything but a bed and books in his room if he threw tantrums at age 11! He'd be in that room for at least one hour, alone, no games, no tv, no radio, after every tantrum.
    If that didn't work, I'd videotape him and play the tape/dvd for him and show him just how babyfied he is. If THAT didn't work, I'd play the video for family and friends, HIS friends. Yes, it's embarassing, but he SHOULD be ashamed.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Take away all privledges. Tell him he has to earn them back and must show good behavior. Give him one thing back at a time as he earns it. As soon as he acts up again all privledges are gone for a longer period.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2010