Timeouts???

When you put you children in time out, do you make them stand with their noses in the corner or do you let them sit in a chair facing the rest of the room? How do YOU do timeouts in your home and does it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• They go in the corner with their toes and noses touching the wall, hands at their side and no whining. That's for the older kids (started when they were 5).
    For my 4yo she now has to stand with her nose touching the wall and keep her hands to her side and she gets a few warnings about whining before I reset the timer. When she was 3 she just had to stand in the corner (however she wanted) and could cry if she wanted. At 2 she just had to stay in the vicinity of the corner.
    Their timeouts last as many minutes as their ages (4, 7, 8 and 10 minutes each).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Put them on the sofa, and tell them dont move...or you will be their longer!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• We used a chair off the major traffic areas of the house. One minute of time out per age of the child. (4 minutes for a 4 year old)
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I really dont agree with the minutes thing. Ten minutes, sit there. And if they are crying, let them sit there until they stop. Obviously a smaller child cant sit there for ten minutes, but once they are about four or so, ten minutes. When you can stop crying or taking a fit, I will then talk to them.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• They sit on the floor off to the side by the fridge. They do face the room but we usually try to keep everyone out during a timeout. my almost 6 yr old is starting to not be so effected by them so I have started taking things away from her. She was rough with her little sister and i took her silly bands away for 2 days and that was good for her (she cried).
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 6:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I put my son in timeouts by making him face the wall. Then he sits there for however many minutes he is old. Ex : 2 minutes because he's 2 yr's old. 3 minutes for 3yr old, etc. It works like a charm!!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 6:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• OP~ Does the time start over if they talk, ask to get out of timeout, or move from the spot?
    Anonymous

• Standing with nose in corner.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My DD sits against the dining room wall for time out.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010