Tylenol for 6.5lb baby?

My cousin and his wife had a premie 31 week baby. Baby came home last Wednesday and went today to get his 2 month shots. He is now 7 weeks 6 days old, and about 6 1/2 lbs. Well my aunt told them to give him some tylenol before, to help with the shots. I told them to get a dosage chart from the doctor due to it being given by weight. Well they waited to give him any until they got to the doctor, to be sure since he is a premie. The doctor told them the baby is to little for tylenol. Anyone else been told this?

amerslynn

Asked by amerslynn at 6:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes,our doc said not until they reach 8 lbs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You cant give Tylenol to your baby until they are at least 4 months old.
    Anonymous

• Are they doubting the doctor? If he says the baby is too little, then he is too little. Seriously I would not take medical advise from any body on here.
    I have no experience with that considering all three of my boys were 8+lbs at birth. But I would trust what the doc says.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, absolutely! My LO was only 3 lbs at birth and the Dr said absolutely no tylenol until she was at least 6 months old. BTW they no longer recommend tylenol when baby gets shots. The vaccine is more effective if they do not get it. Getting a fever is a sign that the immune system is working and the tylenol interferes with the fever.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, thats too little for tylenol.I've heard the same thing.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Tylenol is a very dangerous medicine. I wouldn't use it in a child under 3. It is hard on the liver and kids livers get much better at processing things at around age 3. Better to have a little fever then a damaged liver that you don't know about.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The dosage chart thats my pedi gave me when my son was born says under 3 months/ 6 to 11 pounds should get 1/2 a dropper which is 0.4ml. Im not arguing with the ladies, im just reading the chart she gave me?
    Anonymous

• The concern is not just his weight. The concern is his weight combined with the prematurity. That should have been explained more clearly to them. "Fever" is defined by most pediatricians as a temperature over 100.4 F'. Fever is also the bodies natural defense system. We get them for a reason. Many parents are too quick to try to lower a fever. Infections can often be avoided by allowing the fever to do it's job. If you don't when bacteria or viruses are present the are free to grow and multiply.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When my first son was born he was 7lbs 4 1/2oz and our doctor told us to give him 1/2 dropper for a fever after his 2 month shots. But with my second son he was 5lbs 7oz and he recieved his first shot at 1 month, then he weight right at 7lbs and the doctor told us then to call if he had a fever of 100.4 or above because he would then have to go to the ER. I think it may have something to do with all the recalls of the medicine and some of the weight. I personally haven't heard not to give a baby Tylenol until 4 or 6 months. I have heard not to give Motrin until 6 months.
    AidanIaynesMom

Answer by AidanIaynesMom at 9:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When i had my son circumcized at 6 weeks they had me give him tylenol an hour afterwards? He was 10lb 7oz.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2010