taming a temper...HELP!!!

like a light switch my 19 month old went from sweet and nice to exorcist! she hits/pinches/bites/does dead weight to me, ive tried time outs, taking away toys(that she throws) ive resorted to a swat on the butt(which she laughs at!) idk what to do.. im also 5 months pregnant, so its hormones on me 2 i just wanna cry i get so frustrated nothing seems to be working! i put her in her room close the door and go to my room and cry ! help... any tips that helped you anything..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just saw your note about her doing it in public. I would tell her that she will stop, or you'll leave. (Or she won't get a treat - I'm not too proud to resort to bribary. A $1.25 matchbox car can buy me 3 hours at the mall!) Leave if she does it again.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I always just walk away if it's a "tantrum" and a not warranted cry. I WON'T put up with it....walk away, say "i'm not going to put up with your tantrum".....I find they come to me after they've calmed down and then try to talk with them about it. I have twin 18/mo boys :S
    Anonymous

• You have to be consistant with the discipline that you choose to use. Use it, stick with it and never give up and never give in. She needs to know that you will give her the structure that she needs. She looks to you for her safety routine. You are her parent not her friend.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• op here- my issue is she does it in public vs at home most of the time, its like she wants the scene :( :(
    Anonymous

• Two year old are notorious for bad behavior on occasion, it's the age when they start realizing their independence. My 2.5 yr old son is an absolute doll most of the time - sweet, charming - but wow can he throw a fit. I ignore him. If he throws something I take it away. If he's screaming, I calmly tell him that I can't hear him when he yells so he has to use his nice voice. If he hits, I tell him it's not nice and go into another room.

His little episodes have become less frequent - it's just a matter of consistency. He is starting to realize that he isn't going to get his way by yelling, hitting, or throwing things. Hang in there, it will get better.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My now 3 1/2 year old used to do that, in public, too. My answer was to get close to his face, make him look me the eye, and tell him, "you have 10 seconds to stop crying, or you're going to go sit in the car!" And we did go sit in the car 3 or 4 times. A couple times I left a cart full of items in Target to go sit in the car for 10 minutes. When we did that, I'd strap him in, crack one window a little and stand outside reading a magazine. He's scream for another few minutes, then I'd hear "Mama, mama, mama......out!" After he calmed down I'd tell him what he did was not nice and he needed to give me an appology hug and kiss. And most times we'd go back in and finish the shopping trip. You just need to follow thru and be consistent, like everyone says. I also always tried to have a snack and cup with me. Food can sometimes offset a tantrum before it kicks into high gear.
    mom2ben

Answer by mom2ben at 10:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• the whole walking away thing doesn't work...at least not for my overly emotional, temper tantrum in public throwing, hard headed 2 year old. lol..my dd is smart beyond her 2 short years, and she tests her boundaries when we're out. dh and i have both agreed to spanking rather than anything else (yes, we tried everything else..none of which worked)...no it does not make them fear their parents like most anti-spanking moms will say. we always make her say sorry, and explain to her why she got a spanking and how it was wrong, and make her give us a hug and a kiss and explain that we're not mad...i don't want this to sound selfish when i say it, but i refuse to leave where i'm at if she's being bad...it's what she wants most of the time..she has to learn that throwing a fit will not get her to go bye-bye any quicker than we were already going. whatever you decide to do, it's your choice, but you have to be consistent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2010