Dentists

How old were your kiddos when they went the first time? Our pediatrician said to go this year, she is 4.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My pediatrician recommended taking my son at 3. Definitely varies.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• about 6 months old. As soon as they got teeth they have been going regularly.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I took my first son when he was 4--He already had several cavities and I brushed his teeth 2 times a day!

I wound up taking him to a pediatric dentist. When I was pregnant this time, I asked them. They told me that you can begin taking them as soon as they have teeth, but they at least recommend at a year old.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Its just so weird....i have seen anywhere from 6 mos to 5 years and to listen to the pediatrician on when to go. I asked this elsewhere and you would have thought I was abusing my child by not taking her until she is 4! Thanks for the input ladies!
    Anonymous

• My DD's pediatrician also said 3 yrs unless I found decay or something
    GoofyMama24

Answer by GoofyMama24 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• 1
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• my son was 2 the first time and it didnt work out real well. He threw a fit kicking his legs and yelling when the dentist tried to look in his mouth. The poor man accidently got kicked in the nards. I will be trying again this saturday because he is 4 and MD law says kids have to see a dentist before they start school.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My ped said by one they should be seen. I waited till she was 2 ...it was completely pointless to be honest. She opened her mouth and they looked at her teeth, not much they can do. The dentist said it was good because this will get her used to it...but by the time we go next year she will completely forget about the last time we were there LOL
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I asked our dentist when our son was 2 ,and she said there was no point in bringing him in until he was 3. We brought him with us when we had our appointments so he could get used to everything, and the dentist let him ride in the chair and all that. Then I took him back about a week later for his real appointment. They polished his teeth and looked at them to make sure they were ok. We put DS on the dental insurance when he was 2 just in case something came up, and we'll probably do the same with our daughter.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010