Discpline right or wrong?

My eight month old is going thru his stages and I discpline him by telling him 'no' or 'stop' and I tap his hands. Is that wrong; because now he is hitting others.

LisaK227

Asked by LisaK227 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just pull my kids hands away when they're that young.
    Anonymous

• Whether its wrong or right is up to your own discretion as his parent.
    Personally, I didn't tap/smack/spank..whatever you want to call it at that age.At that age I would always just move them away from whatever it is that they are doing that I don't want them to do or if they crawl over and grab something they shouldnt have, I take it away and say "not for you".
    And I do think that they will imitate you in hitting others at this age because they have no idea what or why your doing it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is 1. I say no and pull my son's hands away, but he's hitting others anyway. It might not be that you are tapping his hands that is doing it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You can't teach no hiit by hitting. The will mimic behavior. Redirection and showing nice touch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• an 8 month old BABY has no concept of right, wrong, consequences, etc. Simply take them away from whatever is the problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Redirection
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Redirection is the best option at this age. The "tapping" of the hands may or may not be contributing to him hitting. But either way, it is NOT going to make him learn any sooner or better than just telling him and showing him something else to do. It won't help him learn, and it might cause problems so just stop doing it.
    Remember a baby this age cannot learn right from wrong any easier than they can learn algebra. They are hard wired to explore EVERYTHING!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• What are you telling him no about? Is he touching something that can be moved out of his reach? If so, move it. Your son is just being a baby. It is not his job to determine what can and can't be touched. It is your job to move anything that you don't want him to touch out of his reach. If it's something that can't be moved, gently redirect him or distract him with something else. If that fails, tell him "no" or "don't touch" or whatever you want to say and move his hands away. If he still persists, move HIM away. It may take many, many, many times of telling him no, removing his hands, and/or removing him from the situation. He may get mad or have a tantrum, but that's just his way of working through his frustration. Be patient with him and persistent with your redirection and eventually he WILL get the idea. No hitting or tapping needed.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010