Timeouts???

When you put you children in time out, do you make them stand with their noses in the corner or do you let them sit in a chair facing the rest of the room? How do YOU do timeouts in your home and does it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We call our time out the "Quiet Seat". He has to sit in the chair facing the wall (but not touching...we rent) and not cry, talk, whimper, burp, fart...nothing. He must remain silent or the time starts over. He's 3, so he starts with 3 minutes. When the time is up, he comes to me and we talk about what happened and why he was sent to the Quiet Seat. He appologizes, gives hugs and then we get on with the day.
    mom2ben

Answer by mom2ben at 10:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I had my sons sit in a chair, in the corner, facing away from the rest of the room.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The only time I do time outs is when they need to "put on" being quiet - like when I've asked them to slow down and they can't seem to do that on their own. We don't do punishments....we have boundaries and to cross over those boundaries we have consequences that correlate to the boundary crossed.
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 7:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I do not make my son face the corner because I dont think its needed. Time outs definatly work for us and his time out chair is actually in our play room so he hates it twice as much cause he cant get up and play. When he throws his screaming fits and wont be quiet then hes sent to his room so he doesnt bother any one else. After his time out he knows now to apoligize and he usually gives my husband and I a kiss or hug or both.Hes 3 1/2 so hes going through this very defiant stage right now and telling us no to everything and screaming when he doesnt get his way. Every one I talk to is shocked that he actually stays in time out and doesnt fight me on it, I guess time out doesnt work for every one. We also only do a minute per how many years our child is which in our case would be a 3 min. time out, to them thats forever though.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2010