silly question about bread....white or wheat?

my husband and i were having this 'debate' about bread. He said that white bread is 'normal'... I guess the given type of bread to get or give, while wheat is just not I guess "common". for me I never would buy white bread or choose white bread for anything. Whats your choice? white or wheat?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Whole wheat for me. Some so-called wheat bread is mainly white flour with maybe a little whole wheat flour.

Answer by Bmat at 7:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Wheat bread is better for you. White bread is made from refined flour. Whole grains are better for you and break down into your system gradually over time, giving long lasting fullness, whereas white flour gives you a carb/sugar spike and cause a crash later. The crash causes your body to think it's hungry again even though your calorie intake has been met and can cause overeating and weight gain. In addition, it is a great strain on your pancreas to attempt to create and maintain proper insulin levels and eventually the pancreas can become unable to function properly and lead to diabetes.
    Anonymous

• yeah... same here.. I get whole wheat or whole grain
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Whole wheat for me and both my older children. we wont touch white. its disgusting IMO
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I love whole wheat. But they do now make a brand of whole wheat that looks white...that'll get your dh!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Whole grain products.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Wheat. I grew up on fresh ground whole wheat flour made bread so I cant bring myself to eat white bread.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No white bread, bleached flour, etc. For *some* people, it is considered normal.
    I was not raised eating it, and neither have my children been- We find it strange when people eat it, or when it is offered.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• exactly. I find white bread strange and I did not want to get my chidlren use to it either... yuck! but my husband was raised on it and when he went grocery shopping for me... he got white!!! He said I wasn't giving it to the kids so he'd better eat it all.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I like the whole-wheat bread and bread with oatmeal in it. However, there are different white breads out there. Some are better for you than others. I was taught that some are considered "airbreads" because they are pumped full of air and lack real nutritional value.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2010