Timeouts???

When you put you children in time out, do you make them stand with their noses in the corner or do you let them sit in a chair facing the rest of the room? How do YOU do timeouts in your home and does it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have boys however I ran into the same things. We did a few different things, stand in the corner with your arms above your head, do 30 push ups and 30 sit ups, we have denied them video games, tv, time with friends etc, what worked for us however is to not fight about it. I remind them once in the morning to have them done by end of the day. If it is getting late and they are still not done, I remind them again and ask them what their plan is for getting them completed. It works every time. Once they commit to a time, they stick to it with in 5 or 10 minutes. I leave it at that, if the chores are not done I don't remind them again, until the next day when I tell them hey you didn't do your chores like you committed to me and now you don't get to see your friends (that one hurts them like crazy). Its much more peaceful this way.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Corner, facing the wall. At this age, length of time depends on the offense.
    Anonymous

• Timeouts for tweens???? you need to update your punishment to fit their age.

Answer by older at 7:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• older~ do you have any better suggestions? I've taken things from her, grounded her, tried to guilt her into behaving... cant find anything to work with my kids.
    Anonymous

• What is she doing for this punishment? You got to find something that is a must for her to have and can't do without, but time out seems kind of silly and pointless at this age. How about making her do her laundry, the dishes, the vacuming, the lawn.....

Answer by older at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Yes, find her "currency" , what she cannot live without, and withhold that.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She's being mouthy, back talking and I have to stand there and force her to do her chores. At 10 yo she shouldnt be told or reminded of each and every chore. These are chores that are repeated daily so they aren't being "forgotten" that quick. I have to tell her to brush her teeth, brush her hair, take a shower, change clothes, change underwear and socks. She acts like she is not capable of doing these things on her own and when I do tell her to do something she raises her voice at me and informs me " I WAS GOING TO DO IT! I'm just at my wits end, I have 2 younger kids and I can't seem to get that right either
    Anonymous

• Mom, the chores you are talking about are personal hygene, why don't you let her be. Heck if she wants to smell and look dirty and unkept I am sure her peers will let her know how terrible she looks. Try this for a change and see what happens, just talk to her and tell her that from now on her personal hygene is hers and hers alone, that you will no longer be telling her to take care of her appearance, tell her she is old enough to do this on her own, test it out see what happens, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    Give her a boost of independence, explain to her that you think she is old enough to be doing these things on her own without supervision, give a week or two, and see what happens, and bite your tongue everytime you want to remind her of what she is suppose to do.

Answer by older at 7:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son is 10 and he is mouthy, talks back, I have to repeatedly remind him to do things I've told him to do as well. It is VERY frustrating.I have to switch up punishments for him all the time because he acts like they are no big deal.Drives me nuts.Time to time I will put him in a time out.Like when he's acting crazy and needs a minute to calm down, I will have him sit on the couch by himself for 10 minutes.
    Try giving her a time limit to get each chore done..do you have a kitchen timer? Set it for a reasonable amount of time to get the job done..if its not done in that time, add on another chore..and keep doing that. The 1st day, she may end up with 5 extra chores before she gets it..good thing its summer vacation, she doesnt have to go to bed early for school.Bet she gets her chores done in a timely manner then.Also, when my sons been being a smart ass, I ask "Would you like to repeat that?" he quickly says NO.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My 10yo still gets sent to the corner. She has to stand with her nose and toes touching the wall and her hands at her sides and no whining or I reset the time (starts at 10 minutes). That's when she really gets on my nerves. Normally she just gets grounded to her room which isn't a picnic. There is almost nothing in there. Just the beds, dressers and her little sisters' toys. The more she throws a fit the worse things get until she is grounded to her bed with a book and then without a book with nothing to do but sit there and think about her behavior.
    She likes to throw tantrums like a 2yo so she gets treated like one a lot of the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2010