Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do about my ex-husband not paying medical for our son? He pays child suport but it has been 8 months since he's had medical on him and when I ask he gets nasty with me. What can I do to make him get it?

I've tried to be understanding of his financial situation but he has had a job for over 3 months now and now says he can't get medical through his job. So i told him to go somewhere else and get it. What would you ladies suggest I do?

Answer Question

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Relationships

Level 23 (16,335 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Does he not have insurance? Or you just want him to provide it?

    Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • If it is court-ordered, go back to court, unfortunately. If you think this is going to be an on-going situation and you can't provide it, I'd go ahead and apply for whatever medicaid/ uninsured kids program there is in your state. Good luck with it! When I had court-involvement I was seen as the responsible party, so I always had to provide medical for my son. Hugs to you both!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • I agree that if its court ordered then you need to go back through the court system. I would probably also get my kid on whatever state insurance is offered as "kjrn79" said. Your child shouldnt have to pay for his dad having issues.

    Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • He is court ordered to provide medical insurance and pay child support and he pays his child support because I had them garnish his wages so he has no choice. I didn't know if he could get in trouble for not providing insurance if he is court ordered and what they would do to enforce that he does provide it.

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • Get medicaid until he gets insurance. Most states have some sort of health insurance just for kids. If you can't get medicaid then tell dad to pay for the state Kids Insurance. I think my dd pays $15.00 a month for it.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • My friend's husband doesn't provide insurance for his son even though it is court-ordered. They can't do anything about it except tell him to try harder. You can get insurance through your job and take him to court to make him pay for it. But, you can not force him to pay for private insurance that he may not be able to afford. Get CHIPS.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

  • I had the same issue. I kept calling the child support office and explained my situtation over and over again. they eventually turned the case to the enforcement team..and got his ass in check. trust me everything i found out about him i reported to them. you dont wanna fuck with me and the things my child is entitled to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.