Should my baby be doing this already?

My daughter is 10 months old and she does not have any interest in holding her bottles to her mouth yet. I have tried working with her to get her little hands to hold the bottle up to her mouth but all she does is pull her hands away. I always thought babies put everything in that they could get there hands on to their mouth, but she does not ever do that. She does pick stuff up all the time and she loves to SCRATCH things but she doesnt put anything to her mouth. I have bought her a sippy cup but since she does not even want to hold her bottle to her mouth then I dont think she will be using any time soon. Should I be worried?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldnt be worried. All babies are different.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My experience with my babies holding thier own bottles,they were both 5 months.
    One little boy that I babysit for starting holding his about 7 months.
    I agree, that all babies develope differently. If you are concerned about it, I would ask the doctor, they are usually happy to answer questions like that. He can check her out and let you know if she is progressing normally.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My kids were around 5-6 months also. I agree all kids are different but I'd still bring it up at her next appt. Could be nothing but could be something. You never know. Whatever the case I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I doubt it would be anything too serious.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My kids never held their bottles as they didn't have nay, the were breastfed. I don't think this is a problem at all. I'd go ahead and introduce the sippy cup and let baby start exploring with it. Like Jen said "I wouldnt be worried. All babies are different. "
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My son never held his bottle. He learned the sippy pretty good. I think he liked our snuggle time lol.. I worried about it to but he is 18 months now and doing great.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• DS was bottle fed and he didn't hold his own cups until he was about 10-11 m/o. He didn't want to. He knew that mommy would hold and snuggle him if I held the bottle.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No, you shouldn't worry, but you should start offering a sippy. All of my babies started using sippies at 7 months. Get one with handles and a soft spout to start.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Start offering the sippy cup anyway, it might prompt her to hold it, especially if it has handles.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you should worry at all. My son is 9 months old, and while he does put almost everything up to his mouth, he will NOT feed himself with a bottle/sippy cup. He CAN do it, because he has a few times, he just doesn't want to, lol. I recently worried that he hadn't started crawling yet, and sure enough, yesterday he started, and today he's crawling all over the place. I think some babies are just comfortable where they're at for the time being, but usually catch on. All babies do things at different times. Your daughter may be ahead of other babies her age in other areas. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It is unusual that she does not mouth objects at ten months. I would bring it up with your pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2010