Do Dr.'s ever tell you your child is advanced?

I'm asking because my friend has a 2 year old & is always saying how the Dr. tells her how advanced her child is. Now, the only reason it's beginning to bother me is because i work with small children & i think her daughter is perfectly normal. I don't think she is any more "advanced" than the other children i watch. I'm just starting to think she being competetive here.

So, before i go judging her statements about her "advanced" child, i thought i'd ask if any one here has been told by the Dr. that their child is advanced for his or her age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Doctors do say that stuff when the child actually is advanced. My son was a very early talker, said his first sentence at 5 months. At the 6 month check up the doctor asked if he was vocalizing, stuff like dadadadada for example and I replied "nah, he just skipped right to saying daddy." The doctor was very surprised but we talked a little about how many words he could say and he actually said a few things in the office. The doctor told me he clearly had very advanced verbal skills and said there was nothing to worry about in that area.

Of course that's just one specific area. Anyone who claims that the doctor is saying their kid is just generally advanced is either speaking crap or the doctor is really saying this stuff to try and get in mommy's pants or something.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• No and even if they did I think it would be rude to say it to other parents.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• LOL! Right... maybe advanced on the growth chart... but that's about it. Dr's do not EVER say that kind of stuff. How could they? They are not around the child 24/7. I think you friend is full of BS.
    Anonymous

• not their pediatrician, but my daughter's speech therapist, as well as the counselors they see, have. my oldest has a speech delay, but her cognitive and motor abilities are amazing. my youngest speaks normally for her age... and she is also very advanced in cognitive and motor... eg, they were both able to roll over from back to stomach and vice versa by the time they were 3 weeks old (they first rolled over from back to stomach at 2 weeks.)

(they see counselors because of their dad and my divorce... they've been through a lot.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• they have said that they are advanced in certain areas (mostly head control lol), or growth but other than that they are more general lol. but i think the fact that she's rubbing it in your face raises a red flag (with the letters bs stamped on it lmao)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• full sentence at 5 months??? What was it?
    Anonymous

• Depending on the stage and the milestones discussed, yes, our peditrician has told me my son and daughter were advanced in terms of specific milestones. Now that they're older we don't discuss congitive development quite as much as we used to when they were younger and so the talk doesn't go there now.

I think the bigger question is why does it matter? As a parent whose children *have* hit cognitive milestones early, I can tell you that's sometimes a very difficult parental spot. Everyone else is talking happily about what Johnny or Susie has accomplished lately but if you speak up about what your child has done, suddenly you're bragging and exaggerating. : ) Maybe your friend was just excited about the feedback she got. Maybe she was simply sharing her experiences. And if not? Whatever. Just grin and move on. If she wants to get caught up in the competition it's her issue. You don't have to join in.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My daughters language and motor skills developed really fast. Im not an expert but I did too notice she was doing things that other babies her age wasnt and even at daycare they always moved her. She was in the 1 yr old class at 10 mths and the 2 yr old class at 18 mth and fully potty trained at 22 mths. Her doctor just always says its normal and great that she is doing these things and she is moving along really well and to just keep it up, but I dont ever remember her saying she was advanced. I dont even consider my daughter to be advanced I just think she learns things fast. She says it once or does something once and it sticks with her.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Every child develops at their own pace. If her child seems "advanced" it may be that some of her skills developed early. A ped usually is not the one to tell you your child is advanced. Once they hit preschool age and are exposed to some sort of education, then people will start saying they think your child is gifted...perhaps recomend testing. I had a boy who was 3 in my preschool class that was reading whole complex sentences...now that is advanced! His parents had him tested...they chose to streamline him anyway, to keep him within the same age group so he was not the young smart kid in a group of older "normal" kids...I think they did him a favor. I applaud facilitating a gifted child, but let them be little. Sounds like your friend is insecure and is bragging, and looking like a fool instead of like a super mom.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2010