help on cutting down my 2 year olds birthday guest list

im planning my little girls 2nd birthday my husband and i have a ton of family and we wanted to atleast invite the friends that have invited us to there childrens parties. my guest list with children and ther mother and father plus our family is 88 guests what the heck should i do? how do you not hurt feelings. please help me out any ideas will be great!

s_toman7

Asked by s_toman7 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um, you wouldn't have to worry about me. I don't go to things like that. I don't expect people to buy presents for my children and I don't buy presents for their children either. Are you sure you're not going a bit overboard. It's a 2 year old... give her a box and let her play in it.
    Anonymous

• uh...what?...lol sorry, but that's crazy. We just had immediate family and a couple close family friends who didn't end up coming.
    cut out "friends"...I dont' even know how you have legitimate friends at age 2.
    Anonymous

• you can just do family, or just do friends? don't feel obligated to invite people if its too much. I don't know your family, but we just invite people that are near us and that we talk to regularly, otherwise iot would be a huge party as well.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Personally I don't do the big parties till the children are much older. I don't see the point in throwing a huge party my child won't even remember just for the sake of making others happy. This is just my opinion. Children usually don't remember things till at least for anyways. I always thought the party was supposed to be about the kids. I would invite the people you think your DD would have the most fun with.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 9:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• If you really want to celebrate with everyone on the list, how about 2 parties? One for family and another for friends. The friends one could just be a BBQ or something low key. And instead of gifts, ask each family to bring a food item (plates, watermelon, buns, soda). Be specific about which item so you don't get duplicates, though. Basically a pot luck party. Just an option...
    mom2ben

Answer by mom2ben at 10:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Practice this conversation with your friends: "We're just having a small thing with family. Maybe we can get together one afternoon for a park playdate. I'll bring cupcakes as a birthday thing - not a party, just a playdate. No presents."

Honestly, a party of 88 family and friends isn't *for* the 2 year old. It's *for* you. Find something your daughter wants to do and make it her special day. My oldest will be 8 next week. We're having a BBQ with my parents and brother's family this weekend. His "party" is taking two of his friends with us to a bounce place. My DD takes two or three friends to Build a Bear or something like that. We've done movies with friends, pirate cruises, and so on. Just two or three peers and a good, fun, special trip. They love it. DS just went to the movies tonight with a friend for his friend's birthday. So much cooler than a party.
    Anonymous

• For our family we don't plan on having "BIG" birthdays' every year... that would get crazy. So his first birthday was "BIG" but he won't have a big party again until he's 5 then 10, 16, 18, and 21. Will all be extra special (depending on what he wants)
    I would invite only immediate family... you don't need to invite YOUR cousins or aunts uncles... just your siblings and parents. And you also don't need to invite every friends party you have been to.... if the child is close to the same age, sure invite them, but otherwise don't feel obligated.... think of how many people you would have to invite in a few years!! If they aren't people you see on a regular baises scratch them off the list. If they can't tell you your daughters favorite toys then they probably aren't involved enough in her life to need an invite.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Personally, at 2 I'd eliminate everyone but immediate family and maybe 1 or 2 little friends. There's no need to invite others just because they invited you. You need to do what's right for you child and 88 people is way, way too much for a 2 yr old. We invited only immediate family when my son turned 2. Friemds will understand.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Immediate family and the friends whose children's parties you attended.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010