What has happened to manners in this country?

I'm disabled and live with constant pain. In spite of this when I have to cut in front of someone in the grocery store or I bump into someone I ALWAYS say Excuse me or I'm sorry...something as I was taught. Yesterday a woman in her mid 50's ran her cart into me, glared at me and moved on. I said in a loud voice...EXCUSE ME. This happens with all ages. I swear if someone says excuse me I'll have a heart attack! I was always taught you should never be in such a hurry that you can't say excuse me. I was taught to eat with my mouth closed and not to interrupt adults when they are talking. I would have never called one of my mothers friends by their first name. I also hate that checkers, doctors, etc all use my first name when talking to me. My doctor no longer uses my first name he call me Mrs....because I started using his first name. Is it this way where you live? I would have put this under social

DisabledVet

Asked by DisabledVet at 7:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The name thing does not bother me. I would much rather be called by my first name. But the rest of it does bug me. I am always polite to those I meet and I notice the rudeness of others too. I do think it is sad that saying excuse me or apologizing has gone by the wayside. There is nothing like good manners!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with you about people being rude because they are in a hurry, but not about the first name issue. I see that as just a formality. It doesn't matter to me whether someone calls me by my first or last name.
    I do think people should make an effort to be more considerate though. But I also try to remember that when someone is rude, it's really their issue, not mine. People who do this are usually feeling really bad about something or themselves. It's not an excuse, but it helps me to not let it affect my own happiness so much.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Things sure have changed and not for the better.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Some things, though, are just the preference of people. I don't mind when my doc calls me by my first name. I mean, she's looked inside my vagina and has seen my feces before, so I think it's ok that she feels like she can call me by my name. And I call my friends' parents by their first names because they want me to. I always start off by calling someone Mr/Mrs ___________ unless they tell me to call them by their first name.
    I do say 'excuse me', and apologize when I run into someone, but that's not necessarily the way everyone was raised, and thus, they don't think to do it. It's not really impolite, just not thought of. It is kind of rude to interrupt people, though.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I love you disablevet. I thank you for your service and I appreciate your view on this. Can I get an AMEN!!!!!

clapping

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• wow i'm sorry that you've had to deal with so many rude people lately. if it makes you feel any better i'm always nice to everyone and alot of people (especially older people) stop and tell me how well behaved my kids are and that we're a nice family..... so not everyone has forgotten their manners lol. i think the first name thing is more of a preference than a manners issue though. alot of old ladies would scold me if i called them mrs. so and so or anything like that. but if it's your preference then yes, people should respect that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I'll "AMEN" that Jesse!!

OP, I think you are right on! When I was very pregnant with my first child I was run over by an elderly man in one of those motorized shopping carts. He knocked me down and then proceeded to bless ME out for being in HIS way! I was so surprised I think my mouth was hanging open. My Mom was with me and she gave him a tongue lashing about being a gentleman, me being pregnant and such.

It is a shame manners and chivalry are becoming lost "arts".
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• When someone pushes me I say, sorry, I did not hear you say EXCUSE ME!

I have had teen boys hold doors for me and I tell how nice it is to see a young do that.

If we want peace in the streets we should keep our manners and teach others to use them.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i'm still stuck on two parts of your post. 1) you feel its ok to cut in front of someone in a register line (because of a handicap no one else can see*pain*??) or because you say ''excuse me''. and 2) "I was always taught you should never be in such a hurry that you can't say excuse me." who's in the hurry here? simply saying ''excuse me'' does not undo rude actions, by anyone, whether they are handicapped or not.
    so much for your mannerly upbringing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2010