If your kids always asked other kids in your neighborhood

for food even though they ate good meals 3 a day with a snack or 3 a day without the snack. My son especially does this but his sister sees that it works for the most part so she's been doing it too. They always have snacks and their friends gave it to them...come to find out there asking for food according to my other daughter. How should I handle this...feed them more...ok and I have and that does not solve it and they still do it? Ages 11, 12, 13. It's like anything to get more snacks and more junk type snacks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would tell them that it's unacceptable to ask them for food. If they are hungry they can come home and get something to eat. I wouldn't want my neighbors thinking I didn't feed my kids or that my kids are always asking for hand outs. They are old enough to tell them that I think.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I know a family whose kids do this too....it's like they beg for it...I don't get it. I don't think it's taught and I highly doubt you taught your kids to do it....but I would tell your kids that it's really rude.
    Anonymous

• omg there is always a little girl over here who eats dinner with us every night I try to let her know its time for her to go home so the kids can eat but for some reason I always end up giving her dinner or lunch,I dont mind it every once in a while..but every night? also I dont know y kids do this I know mine dont because they think its embarassing to come to someones house and eat their things...
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 8:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• idk if it would bother me. i would always offer their friends food if they are over to my house so i guess i would expect the friends to do the same.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My Grandma said her kids used to do this! lol They were like stray cats! IDK,I guess try calling their friends' parents and have them tell them to go home for dinner etc.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• You should tell them it's very rude to beg. I had to tell my neighbor not to give my kids nothing because I keep them fed. But her kids beg like they never ate before. Every time I see them they would be feeding their faces. One time I seen her daughter eating pudding and then not 5 minutes later she was at my house begging for ice cream. I asked her "weren't you just eating something?" and she shakes her head no. I said WOW! I seriously don't know where all that food could be going.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Let the neighbors know that there is plenty of food in your house so they don't feel guilty for NOT feeding them. If the neighbors don't mind and consider it part of socializing to feed their guest that is fine. But if your kids are begging and being manipulative the neighbors should feel free to send them home. Let them know the jig is up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I had one son who did that and i found that it was all a matter of me changing some of the foods i fed him at home. If you know some of the parents ask them for some of the recipes they use or just find out some of the snack ideas they have. Another good way is to tell your child to invite one kid a day for lunch and they will see that it can be just as fun to eat at home as it is to eat at another persons house. Most of the time its just an issue of being with the childs friends when it is time to eat. Of course address the issue of awaiting an invitation and not asking if they can eat there.
    jerry1100

Answer by jerry1100 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Tell you kids its not proper to ask for foodto go home and eat
    christine121

Answer by christine121 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010