Best way to handle a tantrum thrown by a 13 month old...

(sorry, i am re-posting because of typo)
she doesn't have words yet but she gets SO upset when I leave the room or even just turn my back on her for one second...she will cry and cry until I pick her up and walk around with her, which doesn't sound like asking a lot, but it's EVERYTIME I am out of sight. She will be totally content playing, see me step out of the room for a second to put something away or grab something and she FREAKS....people keep telling me it's a phase but it's lasted a few months now...any advice?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The same thing has happened to me a lot recently. I just let my son cry it out. I feel so bad doing that, but it seems to be the only way he calms down.
    countrygirl1987

Answer by countrygirl1987 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I agree with countrygirl. Have you tried playing peek a boo with her to help her see that if you're not in her sight, it's okay and you will be back? I did this with both of my kids and it worked great! I hid behind a doorway and would say "Where's Robbie?" and then peek out and say "Peek a boo". Always a guaranteed laugh from him.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• It's not a tantrum. It's separation anxiety. She thinks you abandoned her. At least keep talking so she can hear you and know you are not gone.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Sounds exactly like what my daughter does and its perfectly normal. I just talk to her and tell her so and so is with you now mommy is busy and will be back later. Yeah she still throws the fit but I am trying to comfort her.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 11:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son does the same thing, and he's just turned one two weeks ago. It's pretty normal and will grow out of it I am told. Try to turn it into a game and see if that helps.
    SebbiesMommy

Answer by SebbiesMommy at 12:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• definitely not a tantrum just a bit of seperation anxiety. The tantrums are only on the way though :( sorry lol My son is 18 months old and boy do we have some tantrums. Best thing to do when it is a tantrum is to just ignore it but in your case you need to show that mommy is coming back...playing peek a boo is a good way to help with that as others have answered. Hang in there...and even though the seperation anxiety may pass now it could come back too. My son seems to be going through it pretty bad again :(
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010