Epidural or Natural??

This is my first baby and I really want to try to go natural. The one thing that worry me about this are if i have to have an emergency C-section and i dont get the epidural.. what happens? Im scared of the epidural people have told me they have a lot of back pain afterwards..
How many of you went natural? or had an epidural? experiencees?

Amanda120486

Asked by Amanda120486 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went through 10 hours of labor and didn't dialate. They give you an epidural if they even think you may have to have a c section, just to be prepared. I ended up going through that and it wasn't bad and I never had side effects from the epidural or the spinal.
    Anonymous

• Why are you worried about an emergency c-section? Are you expecting the worse? I'm sure everything will work out fine, and you can have your baby the way you want (without the epidural). Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I had 2 babies natural and it was great! Both went really fast and I felt wonderful afterward. I wouldn't worry about an emergency C-Section. I don't know what they give you but they would do something for sure. They won't cut you open unless you're numb. Not only back pain but I know of people who have had migraines for a week after an epidural, and a friend of mine got sick and was puking the entire time and even passed out.
    Anonymous

• Ah....first timers...lol.
    I said the same thing--all natural...I had to be induced and by the 4th hour I was screaming for an epi. lol....I had it all-the meditation tapes, birthing ball...but that's ok-I had a healthy baby!
    What I would say is go in trying all natural but don't beat yourself up if you end up asking for an epi...it doesn't mean u failed! Some women can do it..I was hoping i was one of them but wasn't....it's ok.

As far as emergencies--don't worry--they will either put one in fast or worse case-put you under general...

what I will say is that let the epi start to wear off as you get closer to pushing. I did that and was able to feel the contractions so I knew when and how to push but it didn't hurt....and I was able to get out of bed faster as well.

Each birthing experience is different-the main goal is a healthy baby...keep that in mind and you'll be fine :-)
    Anonymous

• I just watch too many discovery health shows and read many books.. it makes me worry about too many things.. my dr told me to stop watching the shows while pregnant bc it made me worry too much
    Amanda120486

Answer by Amanda120486 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• if you need an emergency c-section they will use the epidural, a spinal block, or general anesthesia depending on your preferences. Everyone reacts differently with the epidural. I had no problems and no back pain whatsoever. And the people who have the worst experiences are the ones ready to share it with you. I've done natural , epidural, and c-section. If you can go natural great. It never hurts to have a back up plan just in case. The one tip I do offer if you end up going for an epidural is to ask for Demerol first. It will take enough edge off a contraction to insert the epidural better. You do need to be still while they insert it. OK well that and read the paper with the possible risks involved. You'll do fine try not to stress about it much.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• My mom and sister told me horror stories about birth and I was sure I needed an epidural with my first baby. I asked for one, but it was too late, it was time to push. I did it without the epi. Then with the second baby I had done more research about it and I decided no epi the second time. Actually my sister had one with her last baby and he would not come down the birth canal because he was stuck, the doc pulled him out with the suction cup, it actually cracked her pelvis, she doesn't remember much of his first six weeks of life because the amount of pain she was in D:
    After witnessing that, there was no way I wanted an epi. I knew I could do it without one... I already had. When I went to have my baby I was induced, the nurse kept pushing the epi, even though I told her no way. Finally I told her back off and she did. I went on to have a 9lb1oz baby with a huge head, with no epi. Woohoo!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Then with the third I went natural too.
    I knew it was doable. The way I looked at it is, it is only a few hours of pain, for such a great reward. How many hours will you live in your lifetime? It really is such a short time it was worth it to me to go natural.
    The real reason I wanted to go natural is because I was scared of the complications of the epidural. I was more scared of the forceps, suction and c section, than I was of the pain of child birth.
    You have to do what is best for you and I am not pushing natural, I really don't give a hoot what you decide, but I think you should research the kinds of complications that can arise form an epi.
    Good luck and congratulations on your LO.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I would recommend natural. I have had two all natural births and will have another if I have another baby. You are right about the back pain being a side effect. Some other side effects are headache, nausea, vomiting, itching, increase of temperature of both mom and baby, and, while rare, nerve damage. For me it was not worth the risk. Other reasons not to get one: slowing of labor, inablilty or decreased ability to pus, higher risk of c-section, higher risk of fetal distress, inability of moving to a different position if needed, and it could lead to difficulty breastfeeding (due to the baby being sleepy due to the drug and having a difficult time latching).

Do some research on the subject and then decide what is best for your baby and how you want your labor to be. If you do get an epidural just be aware of all the risks involved.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 8:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Anon :12 is right about it being okay to go in trying for natural but it's okay if you don't. But I think more people who aren't determined will end up getting one. Yes the pain is bad but it goes away and is in spurts not constant. One you're done you're done. You won't have any lasting side effects. You never know how your body will react to the epi until it's in your body. Just take it one contraction at a time. Don't think about the pain as a whole. Get through one and rest until the next comes. It's called labor for a reason. We were made to do this naturally and YOU CAN! Good luck!
    Anonymous