My mom thinks she had a miscarraige. What do you think?

She thought she was pregnant.(She is 47) Didn't know for sure then she started having severe cramps and bleeding. The blood is BRIGHT red and she keeps feeling the need to push. However these cramps and feeling the need to push have lasted for days. I thought when you had a miscarraige it was something that occured quickly and was dark red blood clots. Any suggestions or NICE opinions would be appreciated. I don't know what to say to her. BTW she doesn't have insurance or money and can't just go to the doctor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I hate to say it but she needs to see a doctor. It sounds like a miscarriage that is failing to expel. She probably needs a D&C. This could be very dangerous. I think it awful that people have to worry about insurance in situations like these! Ugh it just makes me so mad. Has she had large clots? Sorry if TMI but if not then the miscarriage is not happening on it's own.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Tell her to take a pregnancy test. Even if she's miscarrying most likely hcg will still be in her system and will show up on a test. That way she knows whats going on. SHe needs to get checked out either way, with her age it could be a different problem.
    Anonymous

• well did she have a positive pregnancy test? did she know she was pregnant or just think that she was?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• OP~ she just thought she was. Didn't take a test.
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP. Even if she is miscarrying she should have enough HCg in her system to show up on a test.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• well i understand it's hard to not have insurance (i've been there before), but she really needs to go to the hospital or her own ob/gyn, a clinic.... somewhere. it sounds serious
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She needs to go the ER. They won't make her pay anything up front., but will give her the care she needs. If she's not having a m/c it still sounds like she needs to be seen.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other posters. While its probably very unlikely that she was/is in fact pregnant, there is still a chance. You could always have her take a pregnancy test now just to see if it is positive (that would give you more of an idea) but regardless if its positive or negative, she needs to go to the doctor. Money is not the number one concern at this point.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• She needs to test. If she's miscarrying it will detect the hcg levels and then she'll know she needs to go to the ER. What if it's an eptopic pregnancy? She really needs to find out if she's pregnant or not. If the test is negative, then this could be early menopause. My mom started the change at 46 and she would have suprise periods that were super heavy and painful.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010