+20 lbs in 3 weeks?!

I started out my pregnancy at 160 pounds. At 19w3d I weighed 164. I went back to the doctor exactly 3 weeks later and weighed 185! I haven't been eating enormous amounts, I've been exercising, nothing different than I had been doing my entire pregnancy. Has anyone else ever gained 20 pounds or so in 3 weeks while pregnant? What could be wrong? I do have Hypothyroidism and my levels were low, but not low enought to where I should've piled on weight like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Are you sure you're scale at home isn't off? A lot of the at home ones are junk IMO. You could have weighed more than you thought to begin with? Did your doctor seem concerned?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• was your dr. concerned? i gained 10lbs. in 1 week when i was pregnant with my first (i was 27 weeks i think). that was bc of pre-eclampsia though. too early for that to be the cause for you i think. here are some things to think about.... is it hot where you live? maybe you are dehydrated and retaining water. did you go to the dr. at a different time of day than usual? i always weigh about 10lbs. more at the end of the day than in the morning. maybe the scale was off.... who knows lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I only weigh myself on the doctor's office scale and it's always been accurate. They were so baffled that they thought the scale was messed up and put me on the other scale.. It was accurate :(. It was the exact same time of day. I live in Louisiana and it's already over 100 degress here. I just didn't think that water weight could be that significant. My doctor was more concerned about my blood pressure cuz it's usually 110/60 and it was 157/58.... I told him it was only that high cuz I was so upset over the weight gain. My DH (who's a nurse) has been monitoring it for me ever since and it's been normal.
    Anonymous

• o it sounds like you're starting to get pre-eclampsia. how was your urine?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• He made the comment that he wouldn't be surprised to see sugar in my urine.... does that mean pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes? I was borderline diabetic with my son. I've never had any blood pressure problems, it's only been high that one time.... was yours off this early when you were getting pre-eclampsia. Is there a best time to check your blood pressure, so that I can keep an eye on it? I have an appointment next week and I'll discuss all of this with him. I've just learned that moms who've been through the experience can explain it better so thank you so much for taking the time to try to help me!
    Anonymous

• sugar would indicate gestational diabetes. protien in the urine would indicate pre-eclampsia. my bp was about the same as yours... it went from 110 to the 150's. they will probably start taking your blood pressure in a couple of different positions.... first sitting down like they normally do then if it is still high they will make you lay down on your left side for a little while and then take it again (laying down). i really hope you don't have pre-eclampsia..... it was terrible. but the good news is that since it's your second pregnancy it would be very unusual for it to happen. it's mostly a first pregnancy thing (unless the two babies have different dads, then it's the same risk as if it were your first pregnancy). be sure to drink alot of water (they told me 10-12 cups a day!) i thought i was going to float away. try to take it easy until next week and hopefully they will find out what's going on.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Thank you for helping! This baby has the same father as my first so hopefully it's not pre-eclampsia. Maybe it's just a burst of weight since I hadn't gained very much till that point. I'll up my water and make a list of questions/concerns for my next visit. I was so upset over the weight gain that I couldn't think of the proper questions to ask then. Weight gain is a part of pregnancy, but 20lbs in 3 weeks sounds like there mught be something wrong, ya know?
    Anonymous

• yeah, i hear you! i would have not been happy either. well gl and hopefully it will work out fine
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2010