General Stanley McChrystal, relieved of duty b/c of a Rolling stone interview. Do you agree?

Remember ladies I am putting this in politics, so if you dont care, dont answer. Is it interesting to you all, that one magazine can ruin a Generals careeer? I find it fascinating, I wish more of them would talk to the tabloids...sorry a general went down like this though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• a magazine ruined his career? wasn't he the one talking in the interview? i'm sure he could have not answered questions or even cancelled the interview if he wanted to. it was his call and this is the outcome. not saying if i agree or disagree with the outcome though.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• somone with his power shouldnt be talking to ANYONE, at the very least he should keep it generic waht he says!
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 11:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• The magazine didn't ruin his career. His big mouth did.

I FULLY support the decision to force his resignation.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Someone with his power shouldn't be talking to ANYONE, at the very least he should keep it generic what he says!

Ditto.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to have to say I am totally ignorant about this issue. I haven't followed it and know nothing about what was said. But I don't think anyone in our military should be speaking to any magazines. So let the chips fall where they may.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Oh for crying out loud... does this mean I now officially agree with Obama on something?

Anonymous

• OP here. What about the journalist that wrote the article. As a professional journalist, at what point do you step back and say, "hey, this guy might get fired if I write this in the article" Should I check back with him, or say screw it and move forward. At what point does journalism turn its shoulder, and at what point does a 4 star general get left out to hang for saying really stupid things in an interview. I have no side here, i just think its something intereseting to talk about beside breast pumps and poopie diapers,,,lol
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I am still in shock that Obama actually made a decision and went with it. (just kidding - in part)

I have to say, I don't really have a problem with it because it's his decision ultimately. He will be the one that owns it, just as he is owning putting McChrystal in the position in the first place. I don't know what was said and in what context so I can't speak about impropriety, but I think for the safety of our troops we need to follow protocol and if McChrystal broke protocol that he should have expected the feedback and consequences of his words. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• lol, are you serious? you're expecting someone from the media to put someone's career before their own? seriously, when have you seen a journalist do anything besides milk a story for all it's worth? even the reputable ones
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• As a professional journalist, at what point do you step back and say, "hey, this guy might get fired if I write this in the article"

IMO, when you get to a certain point in your career, you really need to be more careful of what you say and who you say it around.  We have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that you don't deal with the consequences of your words.  Sure, the journalist could have checked back with him but that doesn't mean that he isn't responsible for the words he said.  Not knowing what was said, I will have to guess that it was either very damning or it wasn't a big deal and it's just more of Obama's thin skin showing.  For some reason I don't see it anywhere in between.  And if it's not obvious by now, I have no idea what the RS article contains.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2010