i'm really scared and i need some comforting.

call me a wimp but i'm really scared about the pain when i go into labor. i'm 36 weeks and i know it's gonna be soon. i can barely handle the braxton hicks contractions. i've tried the breathing, the getting on my hands and knees, taking a shower but they still hurt a lot. if i can't handle the fake contraction how am i supposed to handle the real ones? i decided that i will need an epidural but they won't give me one til i'm at least 4 cm so how can i make labor comfortable until i can get the relief?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just think about that baby you'll be getting whenever it's all over.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• I think toward the end is when it does get more scary! I remember with my first my water broke at 37 weeks ( I thought it was pee! LOL) So i went in to be triaged and the RN said oh we are having a baby today and I was thinking oh my can I change my mind?! LOL I kinda thought labor would be worse and it was not as bad as I expected. i did have an epidural but not till the pain was really bad and I was over 6 hours in I think. It will be ok just focus on the end result and that heklpos some...maybe sue music and other soothing things to help you.
    Anonymous

• sweetie, labor is not comfortable lol, but on the plus side it's not going to kill you. and if it makes you feel better your cervix can actually dialate a few centimeters even BEFORE you start labor so you might not have that long to go up to 4cm. they can give you iv pain killers.... they gave me stadol (sp?) but i had a bad reaction and it made me extremely sleepy. i would suggest riding it out until you can get the epidural. biting on a cold washrag, and having a cold washrag on my forehead helped me and i was in labor for 48 hours lmao.... you'll be fine
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• every labor is different. It does hurt a lot, but you will be amazed at how well your body can handle it. I had an epidural with my first and went painkiller free with my second. I would recommend not having an epidural- the healing is a lot easier, but the pain is very intense while building up to the delivery. For me, visualization worked. I know it sounds lame, but by focusing on a baby deer lying down in a flower filled meadow helped me through contractions with my first.
    Just make sure the nurses and your husband are counting for you while in your contractions. If you want them to only count to 3 (rather than 10) tell them. Don't be afraid to tell people exactly what you want or don't want them to do while you are in labor. Good luck. You can do it!!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• A lot of it is in your head. The good thing about contractions (if there is a good thing) is that the come in waves, peak in pain, and then everything stops hurting...so you get a break to regain yourself and brace for the next one. You just take 1 contraction at a time. And at least for me, the early contractions weren't horribly painful. I did get an epidural at I think 5cm when my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart. But until then, I had a handle on the pain. It really helped to rock back and forth on the glider in my son's room. I have also heard that tubs work WONDERS although I was too busy throwing up to get a chance to try it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2010

• Well all I can say is I understand. My first pregnancy I was totally prepared for the pain and my brain was in the right place. Then when I got pregnant again I was freaking out. I was like I can not do that. I ended up with a c-section for another totally unrelated issue.
    I say read books and get your head in the right place. Keep walking. Keep your mind open. The thing is the labor is not so bad- each contraction has a purpose. They do not come on hard from the get go. The build.
    Perhaps you can't handle it, but to tell you the truth there are drugs and not just the epidural. They have other drugs to help relax you so you can deal.
    I found this great book written about labor and delivery in the mothers perspective. It was about a natural farm where women go and have their babies. It was a great book and helped me get into the right frame of mind.
    What ever you do it will be okay. Don't worry too much!
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You usually dialate before labor starts plus you have to wait to go to the hospital because they will send you home if you go too early. Then guess what... they make you call before you come back. The doc will call you back and ask you a bunch of questions and determine if you are ready to come back. I didn't get to go back until I was 8cm! I blame my mom. She was like, we need to go, we need to go... I didn't know, it was my first baby. I got the hospital and the contractions stopped. I know I'm getting off track here but they told me that I shouldn't be able to walk when I came back.
    When the labor starts you are going to accept it and you know there is nothing you can do. Mind over matter! Just try to relax and keep your eye on the prize!!!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• There are so many things you can do...
    Have you been preparing for birth (reading books, taking classes, watching videos)?
    You can still do these things that will help you become more confident.
    I can suggest plenty of specifics, let me know...

Also, you might consider getting a birth doula. This person will help you to stay comfy and happy while working through labor. She gets to know you & helps you prenatally. She comes to you in early labor to be there with you. You go to the hospital together and she continues to help you get the birth you want.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• An epidural cannot be placed til you are at least three or four centimeters, but there are other things, like Demerol, that you can get sooner. In fact I recommend Demerol before an epi. anyway because you have to be really still when they insert an epi. That is hard to do when you are having a contraction. Other than that maybe... hypnobirthing??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I did hypnobirthing. There are doulas trained to help you with hypnobirthing for pain management. Seriously, it worked so well that everyone thought I was asleep the entire labor. I also had a water birth and the pool REALLY helped. I had no "pain" until DD's shoulders came through. And that lasted like 2 seconds.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2010