How is living in Colorado? Schools, crime, cost, etc??

My hubby and I are wanting to leave where we live (AZ) in the next few years, and are considering Colorado. It's closer to my mom and still close enough to AZ for his family. Does anyone live or used to live there, and how is it? What are the best towns? How is the education system (AZ is bottom, so anything is good, lol), crime rates, and just the overall enjoyment of living there? Thanks :)

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What part are you looking at? I am on the western slope.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i grew up and lived outside of co sprigns for a long time and i gotta say compared to others its not bad at all.. alot of people bike the schooling is pretty good and crime rates arnt very high but its kind of a different story for parts of denver and a small part of colorado springs as well but if you avoid them youll be good
    joannawaddoups

Answer by joannawaddoups at 1:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sleepingbeautee... we are open to most areas, I guess? Not too familiar with Co. Have driven through a few times and it seems pretty nice. We were on I-25 so through Co. Springs and Denver. I guess crime and crappy schools are everywhere, but we'd love to find a nice semi-small (not too small since we are used to the city) and family friendly type town. Or even some area outside of a larger city like Denver. I love greenery and we are tired of the desert and crime and crappy economy here in AZ. Plus my mom lives in So. Dakota so we'd be much closer to her since I only get to see her like every 4 years. And my husband's mom will be in AZ. Perfect middle ground is Colorado.
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well Grand Junction is still considered the desert, the plus side is it is dry and we have rather mild winters, not a lot of snow anyway.
    We have nice schools here, my son is in a charter that is wonderful. Less crime than on the front range {denver, colorado springs, ft collins}. It is pretty dry here, but we are about an hour from beautiful green mountains, great skiing, hiking, and camping.
    I have lived here most of my life and we love it here.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2010