Has a pharmacy ever stolen drugs from you?

Ok So I go to the Target pharmacy yesterday in a hurry and pick up my medication. It was for a medication I have to take that is controlled. I get home and the bottle seems light so I count the pills. There were supposed to be 90 and it turns out I was only given 70. Basically someone stole 20 pills from me. So I go back up there and the pharmacist basically calls me a liar and will not make it right. I ask for video footage and he says there is none. Is there legal action I should take? Is it even legal to not have cameras in a pharamacy especially since it was one inside of Target? What do I do about this? Has this happened to anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure exactly what you should do, but you definitely need to make a statement of some sort. Even if they don't do anything about it now, it will be on record and if other people complain, they will know something is up. Believe me, if someone is doing it to you, their doing it to someone else. They might not do much if just ONE person complains, but maybe someone else will, too... Go to the police.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would start counting them in the store at the counter before you leave. I would actually ask the pharmacy tech to do it for me, in front of me. Because you left the store before noticing, they are not liable to replace them. It is a case of your word against theirs and since it is a controlled substance, it looks like you are trying to get extras. I am not saying you are! I am saying that is what they will tell their superiors to get themselves out of trouble. I would chalk it up to a lesson learned. And make sure they count all future orders, while you watch.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Maybe it looked like a seven on the prescription. I could have been a simple mistake and if you went in there acting like a fool than no, you won't get your way.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would go to the police.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I was cheated before and called a liar. I insisted that I counted them as soon as I got home, and then called. They told me "No way did we miscount." Well, I insisted that they had, so the owner gave in and had the employees do an inventory of that particular med and, voila, I was right. He apologized and corrected it. I hope your outcome goes well.

At that pharmacy a few months later an employee was arrested for stealing pills.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Call the Target manager and explain it to them and tell them you were shorted . GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You are SO rude SaraP
    sliceoflife88

Answer by sliceoflife88 at 4:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Always always count your medication before you leave the pharmacy counter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree that after you leave, there is nothing you or they can do. In the future, I would agree with the poster who suggested counting, or requesting the head pharmacist to count them in front of you before leaving. Even knowing that at this point, with this prescription, nothing can be done, I'd also still file some sort of complaint, so that it is on file.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Does your health insurance allow mail order prescriptions? It won't help this time but if you're taking it long term it might be an idea to order it that way. It's generally cheaper too. As for Target, I'd try the store manager. If that doesn't work I'd go higher. Try filing a complaint with your state Board of Pharmacy.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2010