What is the difference between Dads who babysit and sometimes single moms?

Tell me, do you think Dad's babysit their own children? Do you think there is such a thing as a sometimes single mother? Tell me why would answers to these questions not be the same? As in both no or both yes? I recently did a non - study in a large groupof women and 100% of those answering the 1st question answered NO...Dad's do not babysit. 100% answered YES they are sometimes a single mother. How can this be?? If you are not a single mom then you are no more sometimes single than your kids Dad is a babysitter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• If his name appears on the birth certificate or adoption records for that child, then it is called PARENTING, not babysitting. Babysitters get PAID. So no, a dad cannot babysit his own child.

However, a mom who is married or has a live-in partner who is also a parent to that child can be a sometimes single mom. As a military spouse I can tell you that I have been a 'sometimes single parent' because my husband was deployed for months at a time and all of the parenting responsibilities, 24/7 were on my shoulders alone. He could offer moral support, but he couldn't step in and take over when I was bone tired or sick or busy with dinner or whatever.

So those things are total opposites IMO. I think maybe it might be more on the definitions given to the terms "babysit' and 'single parent' that may determine a person's response to your question though.

Just my plugged nickel on it.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 6:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• How are you sometimes a single mom?

And i can't stand when parents say they are "BABYSITTING" their children. like its someone elses child they are taking care of.... annoys the crap out of me!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Dads DO NOT babysit. It's called babysiting when you're looking after other people's kids. What you must mean is dads taking care of their kids without the mom around. In my house that happens every day. Hubby works and I'm on meternity leave so I take care of the kids all day. But when hubby gets home he always takes care of the kids for 2-3 hours so I can go to the gym, dance classes, shower or sleep without any interuptions.
    And no, I have never felt like a single mom. HUbby is always here for me.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I guess I don't get it. You can't sometimes be a single mom if your with your kids' dad.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Dads never babysit there children how do you babysit your own children?! The only thing I could think of about a sometimes single mom is if your hubby is away for a long period of time like in the service or what not. A mother can also FEEL like they are single mother if there hubby does nothing to help with the children and yes I have seen fathers like that and Im the bitch that opens my mouth and tells them to get the hell off there ass and help out with the children. The momma didn't make the children on there own so you weren't being a lazy ass when you made the kids so why are you being lazy now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Even if the Dad is away in military, you still aren't a single mother. The dad is working and making money. Both parents agreed and knew what would happen when he joined the military such as being away for a long time.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• SINGLE is a marital status LOL
    it doesn't necessarily mean you do everything by yourself
    you can still co-parent and be a single parent
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Exactly DomoniqueWS!

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• In my house DH doesnt babysit, he has been a full time parent during the day while I worked. He handled dr appt's, school, diapers, bottles, sick kids, and everything else that you deal with during the day, then at night he would got o work and i would handle sports, dinner, cleaning, homework, bedtime etc etc. Did it ever feel to either of us as if we were single parents? well yes sometimes we felt very alone in it all. It was very hard without that second person physically there. I do think that dads can have nights or days where they are the parent in charge when mom is out of the house, I think babysit is really the wrong word to use.

I think when women say they are a sometime single parent they mean they shoulder all the responsibility for the children, married or not that can be hard and you can feel very very alone when your the one doing it all. To me both these terms are just descriptives to explain a situation.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• 3 ring circus........I think when women say they are a sometime single parent they mean they shoulder all the responsibility for the children, married or not that can be hard and you can feel very very alone when your the one doing it all. To me both these terms are just descriptives to explain a situation.
    No one has answered the question, you are close .... What is the difference? Here you say they are similar because they are descriptives, so in essence you are saying there is no difference. Seemingly the two are labels thrown about, and do a diservice to those who babysit others children or who are single mothers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2010