I wonder if anyone else here has a husband who is physically present, financially supports but is not an active participant in the parenting relationship?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 3:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband works a lot. He is much less present with the kids than I am. He loves them and is very warm and affectionate with them and tries to teach them things, read with them, etc. when he is home. I sometimes get upset that he doesn't do more or follow my plan for doing everything, but in the end I think it is quality of time spent more than quantity. I think he would annoy me more if he was here all the time- like he was threatening my role or something. It works for us, for now. He's home all next week- I might change my mind!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My hubby does it all i am a very lucky women. Our children are our lives. My hubby wouldn't be getting away with being a lazy ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My SO iss very active, his mother died and he never knew his dad so he is trying to end a lot of cycles now with our son. And he financially supports us, although I do plan on going back to work because I want a new car :)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I did. It got old very quickly. I felt like even though, at that time, i was married, i was always a single parent. It makes things difficult.
    kateyez2214

Answer by kateyez2214 at 5:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm quite sure there are plenty of women in this situation, mainly because this society places no value on men knowing what the hell they're doing when it comes to raising children and women in this society are willing to have sex with men who lack the maturity to handle the realities of parenthood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• No, and I would be very concerned. From what I have read, the effects on the children of a father who is not actively involved is the same as an absent father - higher rates of dropouts, pregnancy in teen girls, etc.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My hubby is the best daddy ever! He spends every day and every moment he can with them!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My husband had a difficult time being a father when the kids were young. Now that they are older (18 and 21), he is making up for lost time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That is so sad! My husband is so great. He helps around the house if I need him to, he disciplines and plays with our son, he changed diapers and will be just as involved with this new baby too.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• There had been more distance when our eldest child is suspected to have autism. I don't know if this is his way of coping but it's like there is a distance between us now and he is not affectionate to the kids anymore.
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010