Is anyone here Deaf? And, is anyones job here an American Sign Language Interpreter??

I took 2 years of ASL in highschool, LONG time ago though. lol I used to be fluent in it, and completely carry a conversation. I still can but it's a bit hard; it's something you need to keep up with to remember.
However, I'm interested in going back to school and becoming an ASL interpreter. Anyone know how to get started or know how long you have to go to school for? And how's the pay?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hi! I'm Deaf and I would recommend you start considering looking into interpreter school right here at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.! We have fabulous interpreters and most of them take classes and interpreter on the side for practice so you have on-going experience with using the language we use everyday on campus. :) Let me know if you're interested in knowing more.
    wandahoshina

Answer by wandahoshina at 8:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am deaf so sign language is my mother language. It took my mom 4 years to become fluent and get her ASL certificate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Is she an interpreter? is she deaf or HOH? Do you know the process of her getting certified?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• She is an interpreter. She started classes at a local college and it normally takes 3 years but my mom failed a class so she had to repeat the 2nd year. I don't know if the prossess is the same now because that was 35 years ago, but you can e-mail my mom on evelyniliop@gmail.com
    Her name is Evelyn, my name is Michelle. She can provide you with info and I'm sure she'd be happy to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• :) Awesome!! My name's Kelsey.

I've been thinking about what i want to go back to school for, and had many things in mind but this is something i have been interested in for so long.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Good luck! It's always nice meeting a person who can communicate with me in MY language!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think it wold be awesome to know sign language.

I worked as a Spanish interpreter in a hospital, and the ASL interpreters who worked there were well paid.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my mother's deaf, she's not on here..
    and I am hard of hearing, when we go to doctors and stuff though, she always have an interpreter.. idk how much they pay.. but they better get paid REALLY good to repeat in sign language for every word for word lol
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 8:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2010